Broken seat recliner repair

Hi,

Does anyone have any info on how to repair the passenger seat on my 98 Ram Quad cab?

The seat was leaned forward and when I lifted the side lever to recline the seat back the cable broke inside the sleeve. I lifted the seat cover up to see if I could get at the mechanism some other way to get the seat back to a useable position. The entire recliner mechanism seems to be inside a rectangular tube frame of the seat so I can't get to it.

I don't see it as being a hard repair to replace the cable if I could get to it.

Does the entire seat have to come out and be disassembled? I havn't been able to get any info on it. When I called a couple of dealer in town they refered me to their body shops and they both told me they really didn't have much information on it without taking it apart.

Thanks Rosco

Reply to
robross

Did you call any body shops yet? I would check the price of the cable, the tube frame, then ask how much to repair -- parts and labour broken down -- try a couple of places -- maybe a collision repair place too. If cheap, get them to do it -- sometimes it is cheaper to get a garage to do stuff like this because they are experienced and can do it quickly while you might be at it for hours (like I get a garage to do new door hinges at the same time if I have to have it in for something requiring a hoist because I might have to pay another 10 minutes in labour).

Of course, if they want to charge a lot and have to take the seat out and get into the tube frame, and I considered the vehicle old, AND I had an extra vehicle to drive: I might take it apart just to figure it out for myself and the satisfaction of being self sufficient just a little more ...

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson