Power? POWER? What about milleage?

I got a Dodge with POWER now im thinking or trading it for one that gets some mileage. Was going to get a diesel then "they" raised the price of fuel another $ .50 cents a gallon. Sooo no point in putting up with the associated problems in a deisel in the cold climate we have here in MN for higher priced fuel. Well im thinking about a Nissan Titan to pull my 7,800 lb TT with but have no idea what they get for pulling mileage. They say 14 to 18 mpg I suppose that is NOT pulling. My Present Dodge gets

8-8.5mpg, pulling, not pulling, flat land, mountains all the same- 8 mpg. There is much to do about "chips" for more power BUT are there any "chips" for more mileage? I love that truck-- I hate the mileage it gets. Sacrafice power for mileage? in a heartbeat! Any usefull advice appreicated, Flames ect. will be ignored Thanks, Tom.
Reply to
Thomas Allemani

What is your current truck year and its configuration (tire size, engine, axle ratio and so on)

Reply to
TheSnoMan

No matter what the manufacturer claims, the Nissan is a half ton truck. A

7800# trailer is a hell of alot to tow...I'd suggest a 3/4 ton vehicle.
Reply to
Advocate

I'm a little confused here. You have the need for a Cummins, then fuel goes up as it always does in the winter and now a Nissan will get it done for ya??? What associated problems in a cold climate? Below zero plugging it in?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

get a diesel, youll have both power and mileage.

so what? its STILL cheaper than buying TWICE as much gasoline (when loaded).

i dont blame you for "thinking about it" but actually buying one to tow

7,800 pounds would be a dumb move.

cut that in half when towing 7800 pounds.

rethink the diesel option. pulling nearly 10,000 pounds on flat land now im getting almost 16mpg when i drive with sense. when driving in the mountains i tend to get around 15 pulling the same trailer.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Jusy nosey...fuel goes *up* where you are in the winter? Always goes down around here, just thought that was universal. Huh, learn something new and useful every day.

The minute the tourists and the snowbirds shuck out of town, gas prices drop ten cents, like clockwork. If it gets really nasty and lousy to drive, it goes down another five. Michigan...we love our tourists (I guess...;>)

Cricket

Reply to
Cricket

He's talking about the price of diesel fuel... pretty much all cold climates see a rise in price, as the demand for home heating oil goes up.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Fuel sold north is treated a bit to cut down on gelling. Your mileage will suffer as well. I'm in MA.

Reply to
Roy

Buy the Titan at your own peril... stay with the Dodge.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

And if you live around hear you are paying a buck more a gallon for the fuel to so you are saving nothing. You can tow well with gas motors and get resonable MPG to if you rig is geared correctly for the road. I have been towing with gas for 30 years and I have no plans of switching now and I have a friend that bought a Dmax to save money on fuel but he wishes now that he had bought a gas truck because he is losing money twice on the deal, price of truck and cost to operate it.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

youre still saving money if you have to buy twice as much gas.

certainly......just not as good as you can with a diesel....._especially_ when you bring mountains into the equation, but my statement stands even on flat land.

your friend made a critical mistake in buying a v8 diesel. yes, a v8 diesel can make just as much power/torque as an inline diesel but its going to do it at a higher rpm and its going to burn a lot more fuel doing it.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Used to be everything at the gas station went down pretty much parallel...of course, used to be diesel was cheaper, too...I haven't actually looked lately. Probably showing my age, remembering when diesel was one pump around back, maybe...;>)

Cricket

Reply to
Cricket

But I am not using twice as much gas,and I do not have to plug in my truck on cold winter nights and put 12 or 14 quarts in the crankcase and listen to the engine rattle all the time not to mention the extra 6 or 7 grand it cost too. If you like a oil burner fine if you like them but you are not saving any money with one in todays market. When you factor all the costs, you are loosing money with one so it is not cheaper to drive one today.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Last winter in ohio diesl was 40 to 60 cents more a gallon than gas for about 5 or 6 months and now it more than a buck more here (I saw gas today for 2.13 and diesel for 3.29 but I have seen diesel around here for as much as 3.49/gallon. The days of cheap deisel are gone for good I fear and I heat with oil now but I may switch to propane hear because it has not skyrocketed around here and is still cheap by todays standards.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Oh bullshit! List for the Cummins is 5K and ya get other stuff with it. Cummins will out work and out last a gas engine. Cummins is 300K plus before tear down. I'm sure you have a chevy gasser that has 300K and is just wonderful. Fuel here is 30 cents more than gas. I plug mine in at home cause the heat is nice, at work when it sits for 24 hours it starts right up. The common rail is much quieter. Your gasser depreciates like a rock/ IIrc the return on a Cummins starts at 100K.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Diesel will always be superior to gasoline in fueling trucks that haul loads. 100 years of history have proven this, as almost NO OTR rigs use gasoline engines anymore.

As to the MPG, perhaps if he had bought a real diesel and not the Duramax, he would be saving money. Inline six design is inherently superior to the V8 for pulling loads.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Nor do I. But then, I own a Cummins. The Duramax needs grid heater, glow plugs AND to be plugged in??

12 thanks. And I'll take that over the smaller amount anytime, given the design superiority

Hell, I don't even hear mine without the windows down, and I LIKE the windows down.

$3800 at purchase in 1999, and only $5000 this year. WTF are YOU pricing?? Oh yeah, the Duratrash.

Rubbish. To do what I did with mine two weeks ago, a gasoline truck would have burned twice the fuel. 19.6 MPG AVERAGE over 300 miles, and with 250 more covered at speeds in excess of 75MPH, I pulled 18.8MPG average. I doubt a gasoline truck could do that if it covered the same miles at the speed limit.

Bullshit. Do some math instead of running off at the mouth.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I've been putting off ordering propane 'cause I just know I'm gonna cringe at the price...but I guess it could be worse, I could still heat with oil...

I've got a wood stove sitting outside the basement steps just waiting for me to get industrious enough to haul it down cellar and get it set up, but I'm in winter denial...it's been so freakin' gorgeous that I can't get my brain around the fact it's going to get cold. I've got to get it in gear...the woodstove, and that nasty clunk when I engage four wheel drive...probably better do something about that, too...sigh.

Cricket

Reply to
Cricket

I've never plugged my truck in once. Granted, I don't see sub-zero temps too often, but I've never had a problem with it starting in the morning.

Oil's cheap, and you can run twice as many miles on it, so it evens out (7,500/15,000 mile changes on the Cummins, vs. 3,000/6,000 on the DC gas engines [their recommendation])

Never driven a common-rail Cummins, have you? No rattling to be heard (well, unless you like to modify things a bit... but stock, it's as quiet as any gasoline V8)

$5K list - about $4,500 when the price is finalized.

I absolutely am. I used to drive a dually with a V10... 10-12MPG at best, at a current cost (to me) of $2.799 per gallon, or between $0.23 and $0.28 per mile. I now drive a dually with a Cummins, paying (currently) $2.899 for fuel, and get 18-22MPG at best, giving me a cost of between $0.13 and $0.16. Those are empty numbers. While towing an 8,000lb. enclosed trailer, I was getting about 7MPG with my gas engine, and about 15MPG with my diesel. That's almost $0.40/mile with the gasser, and just over $0.19/mile with my Cummins.

Now, I know.... you'll argue that a V10 is way too much motor, and I should compare it to a 360 gasser. Well, the 360 isn't enough engine for a 1-ton pickup, but for the hell of it, let's say that it is. I'd expect MAYBE

13-14MPG out of it empty, and maybe 8-9MPG towing... making the operating costs $0.20/mile empty, and $0.31/mile towing... with a powerplant that's barely adequate.

So - tell me again how my diesel is costing me more to operate?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

But Max... all they have to do is slap some lower gears in there, and that little gas motor will pull that load just fine! :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence