Power? POWER? What about milleage?

Page 1 of 3
I got a Dodge with POWER now im thinking or trading it for one that gets some mileage. Was going to get a diesel then "they" raised the price of fuel
another $ .50 cents a gallon. Sooo no point in putting up with the associated problems in a deisel in the cold climate we have here in MN for higher priced fuel. Well im thinking about a Nissan Titan to pull my 7,800 lb TT with but have no idea what they get for pulling mileage. They say 14 to 18 mpg I suppose that is NOT pulling. My Present Dodge gets 8-8.5mpg, pulling, not pulling, flat land, mountains all the same- 8 mpg. There is much to do about "chips" for more power BUT are there any "chips" for more mileage? I love that truck-- I hate the mileage it gets. Sacrafice power for mileage? in a heartbeat! Any usefull advice appreicated, Flames ect. will be ignored Thanks, Tom.
Thomas Allemani wrote:

What is your current truck year and its configuration (tire size, engine, axle ratio and so on)
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

No matter what the manufacturer claims, the Nissan is a half ton truck. A 7800# trailer is a hell of alot to tow...I'd suggest a 3/4 ton vehicle.

I'm a little confused here. You have the need for a Cummins, then fuel goes up as it always does in the winter and now a Nissan will get it done for ya??? What associated problems in a cold climate? Below zero plugging it in?
Roy

Jusy nosey...fuel goes *up* where you are in the winter? Always goes down around here, just thought that was universal. Huh, learn something new and useful every day.
The minute the tourists and the snowbirds shuck out of town, gas prices drop ten cents, like clockwork. If it gets really nasty and lousy to drive, it goes down another five. Michigan...we love our tourists (I guess...;>)
Cricket

He's talking about the price of diesel fuel... pretty much all cold climates see a rise in price, as the demand for home heating oil goes up.

Used to be everything at the gas station went down pretty much parallel...of course, used to be diesel was cheaper, too...I haven't actually looked lately. Probably showing my age, remembering when diesel was one pump around back, maybe...;>)
Cricket

Cricket wrote:

Last winter in ohio diesl was 40 to 60 cents more a gallon than gas for about 5 or 6 months and now it more than a buck more here (I saw gas today for 2.13 and diesel for 3.29 but I have seen diesel around here for as much as 3.49/gallon. The days of cheap deisel are gone for good I fear and I heat with oil now but I may switch to propane hear because it has not skyrocketed around here and is still cheap by todays standards.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

I've been putting off ordering propane 'cause I just know I'm gonna cringe at the price...but I guess it could be worse, I could still heat with oil...
I've got a wood stove sitting outside the basement steps just waiting for me to get industrious enough to haul it down cellar and get it set up, but I'm in winter denial...it's been so freakin' gorgeous that I can't get my brain around the fact it's going to get cold. I've got to get it in gear...the woodstove, and that nasty clunk when I engage four wheel drive...probably better do something about that, too...sigh.
Cricket

untill last week here in the south diesel was over $3 a gal now in the past couple of days its dropped below 2.50 almost caught up with pump gas.
chris

something
up.
parallel...of

Fuel sold north is treated a bit to cut down on gelling. Your mileage will suffer as well. I'm in MA.

get a diesel, youll have both power and mileage.

so what? its STILL cheaper than buying TWICE as much gasoline (when loaded).

i dont blame you for "thinking about it" but actually buying one to tow 7,800 pounds would be a dumb move.

cut that in half when towing 7800 pounds.

rethink the diesel option. pulling nearly 10,000 pounds on flat land now im getting almost 16mpg when i drive with sense. when driving in the mountains i tend to get around 15 pulling the same trailer.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

And if you live around hear you are paying a buck more a gallon for the fuel to so you are saving nothing. You can tow well with gas motors and get resonable MPG to if you rig is geared correctly for the road. I have been towing with gas for 30 years and I have no plans of switching now and I have a friend that bought a Dmax to save money on fuel but he wishes now that he had bought a gas truck because he is losing money twice on the deal, price of truck and cost to operate it.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

youre still saving money if you have to buy twice as much gas.

certainly......just not as good as you can with a diesel....._especially_ when you bring mountains into the equation, but my statement stands even on flat land.

your friend made a critical mistake in buying a v8 diesel. yes, a v8 diesel can make just as much power/torque as an inline diesel but its going to do it at a higher rpm and its going to burn a lot more fuel doing it.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

But I am not using twice as much gas,and I do not have to plug in my truck on cold winter nights and put 12 or 14 quarts in the crankcase and listen to the engine rattle all the time not to mention the extra 6 or 7 grand it cost too. If you like a oil burner fine if you like them but you are not saving any money with one in todays market. When you factor all the costs, you are loosing money with one so it is not cheaper to drive one today.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Oh bullshit! List for the Cummins is 5K and ya get other stuff with it. Cummins will out work and out last a gas engine. Cummins is 300K plus before tear down. I'm sure you have a chevy gasser that has 300K and is just wonderful. Fuel here is 30 cents more than gas. I plug mine in at home cause the heat is nice, at work when it sits for 24 hours it starts right up. The common rail is much quieter. Your gasser depreciates like a rock/ IIrc the return on a Cummins starts at 100K.
Roy

Roy wrote:

Not likely, If you service a gas engine correctly and add a engine oil cooler like the oil burner has to have (it will die without one), it will last about as long and when it time comes it will be a lot cheaper to fix. Everyone that says how great and cheap oil burners are NEVER factor in the cost of buy and maintaining one and now the higher cost of fuel and not to mention the the front of the truck weighs about 700 or 800 pounds more up front with a cummins in it and removes payload capacity because the GVW of a like gas truck is the same. They did not redesigned the frame and front end for that weight either and give it it own front end, it is the same frame and front end that is used in a gas truck. Dodge quietly replace the front axle design in 03 because of the problems they were have with front drive axle on CTD models from added weight. I run a few plow trucks and have for years and I know that I can start my gas trucks a minus 20 quickly with no heat and be on my way quickly if need be and I can shut it off anytime anywhere in any weathr and know i can restart it and I do not have to leave it banging away wasting fuel to keep it warm. I can go to a drive thru and not have to shout or turn my engine off to be heard either and nobody knows I am coming until a get there either because it is quiet and nobody knows I am in a truck when on cell phone either. Again if you like them fine but cheap and lasts longer, that is BS because you can rebuild a gas engine for a lot less than a Cummins and just a rebuilt injector pump and injector can cost a lot more that a completely rebuilt gas motor. First time that oil burner breaks out of warranty, you will pay through the nose to fix it. Diesels have a place but not in my P/U and at todays fuel price they make even less sense. Gas here is 2.13 and diesel is 3.34
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Pal, from what ya posted above, I have a couple of thoughts for ya. Read up and get some current information. Read up and get some accurate information.
I'm sure others will correct you.
Roy

Roy wrote:

No you are just blinded thats all. I drove a C70 triaxle dump in the later 70's while going to college and it had over 150K on it when drove it and it was still going strong and it had a 60K GVW too. I also knew a old man that did some part time hauling back then, he was retired and had a 58 C60 single axle dump chevy with a 6 banger and a 8 speed (4x2) and he regularly hauled 8 ton of asphalt or gravel with it and did fine and it was nearly 20 years old and still stock and ran like a fine watch. I guess these trucks got along fine without a Cummins back then. You have the problem because you seem to think to tow and to last long, you have to have a oil burner but that is simply not true and they are not any cheaper to drive these days either. Your properly cool and maintain a gas motor, it will run a very long time.
--

www.thesnoman.com

LOL!! Sure it did it, but at twenty miles per hour top speed with a load!!
I grew up on a farm, we grew wheat and oats, I also helped neighbors bring in the grain. Most everyone had a truck of some sort. Loaded few trucks would make the speed limit within a few miles on the highway, unless you could find a long down hill grade. I drove beet truck for my sister a couple of years back, 427, with a 5 x 4 transmission. Ran that thing to the floor for 4 miles with a load, it topped out at 45 miles an hour. The neighbor hauling beets off his land across the road would blow right by me with his diesel powered truck.
Gas is fine if you seldom pull a load. If you pull a load often, once you go diesel you will never go back! Greg