Power? POWER? What about milleage?

Not likely, If you service a gas engine correctly and add a engine oil cooler like the oil burner has to have (it will die without one), it will last about as long and when it time comes it will be a lot cheaper to fix. Everyone that says how great and cheap oil burners are NEVER factor in the cost of buy and maintaining one and now the higher cost of fuel and not to mention the the front of the truck weighs about 700 or

800 pounds more up front with a cummins in it and removes payload capacity because the GVW of a like gas truck is the same. They did not redesigned the frame and front end for that weight either and give it it own front end, it is the same frame and front end that is used in a gas truck. Dodge quietly replace the front axle design in 03 because of the problems they were have with front drive axle on CTD models from added weight. I run a few plow trucks and have for years and I know that I can start my gas trucks a minus 20 quickly with no heat and be on my way quickly if need be and I can shut it off anytime anywhere in any weathr and know i can restart it and I do not have to leave it banging away wasting fuel to keep it warm. I can go to a drive thru and not have to shout or turn my engine off to be heard either and nobody knows I am coming until a get there either because it is quiet and nobody knows I am in a truck when on cell phone either. Again if you like them fine but cheap and lasts longer, that is BS because you can rebuild a gas engine for a lot less than a Cummins and just a rebuilt injector pump and injector can cost a lot more that a completely rebuilt gas motor. First time that oil burner breaks out of warranty, you will pay through the nose to fix it. Diesels have a place but not in my P/U and at todays fuel price they make even less sense. Gas here is 2.13 and diesel is 3.34
Reply to
TheSnoMan

Pal, from what ya posted above, I have a couple of thoughts for ya. Read up and get some current information. Read up and get some accurate information.

I'm sure others will correct you.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

good golly miss molly! people around here love a good argument and i am sure this thread still has some legs on it but....................i'm just hoping that you wrote the stuff above in that vein. that is, that you just wrote it to keep the argument going for the fun of it........because if you are serious, you are really stupid.

Reply to
thenewguy

lol.....reading your entire post i _never_ saw that one coming. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Well thanks for the reply's all, sorry I didn't put the details of the truck but here they are, 1999 3/4 4x4 w tow/plow pakage, quad cab, V10.

37000mi I use it primarliy for towing my TT. Dodge replaced the engine at
Reply to
Thomas Allemani

Rubbish, there are many diesels that do not have oil lube oil coolers.

Wrong again. Diesels have a proven record of going farther than a gasoline engine, mainly due to a heavier design.

1) Cost of buying one is higher, but then so is resale value. 2) Maintenance is cheaper, as diesels do not require plugs, wires, coils, cap and rotor (if still used) 3) Cost of fuel vs gasoline is not high enough to make diesels less economical to operate. 4) Having that 1100# engine sitting on my axle means I don't have a problem steering or going in snow. 5) Removal of payload? My truck is rated at 8800 gross. The axles and tires are rated at a combined 12,000#, and I've put 14,000# on the road and driven several miles. Thats 5200# more than the claimed GVWR.

And I'm sure you have proof that the frame under the gasoline powered truck is only good enough for the light gasoline engine? I've jumped my truck over a snow mound and put 4' of air under the front wheels. The truck frame is fine trackbar sucked and was replaced.

Quietly? Bullshit, it was ANNOUNCED that they switched to American Axle, and that happened in 2002, IIRC.

None of what you describe above is true of a Cummins powered truck.

Who gives a f*ck? I mean, if you want to sound like you are in an office, go stand in an office. The problem isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

If you aren't lying, it sucks to be you.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I'd check that pricing, I'm sure your truck is worth more than $10,000, and trading for used diesel might be an even better deal.

Its fine sitting for weeks. Driving short trips is the bad thing, since it should warm up to be properly used. Fortunately, it takes about 1/2 mile, and mine is putting out heat in the cab.

Nope. You could plug it in the hour before you wanted to use it, and be just fine. Personally, I've rarely plugged mine in, and it starts fine, even after siting a few days in cold weather.

Fuel isn't a concern like it once was. Lower mileage in the winter isn't a problem if you let it sit as much as you say, since its only a MPG or two difference.

Reply to
Max Dodge

No you are just blinded thats all. I drove a C70 triaxle dump in the later 70's while going to college and it had over 150K on it when drove it and it was still going strong and it had a 60K GVW too. I also knew a old man that did some part time hauling back then, he was retired and had a 58 C60 single axle dump chevy with a 6 banger and a 8 speed (4x2) and he regularly hauled 8 ton of asphalt or gravel with it and did fine and it was nearly 20 years old and still stock and ran like a fine watch. I guess these trucks got along fine without a Cummins back then. You have the problem because you seem to think to tow and to last long, you have to have a oil burner but that is simply not true and they are not any cheaper to drive these days either. Your properly cool and maintain a gas motor, it will run a very long time.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

LOL!! Sure it did it, but at twenty miles per hour top speed with a load!!

I grew up on a farm, we grew wheat and oats, I also helped neighbors bring in the grain. Most everyone had a truck of some sort. Loaded few trucks would make the speed limit within a few miles on the highway, unless you could find a long down hill grade. I drove beet truck for my sister a couple of years back, 427, with a 5 x 4 transmission. Ran that thing to the floor for 4 miles with a load, it topped out at 45 miles an hour. The neighbor hauling beets off his land across the road would blow right by me with his diesel powered truck.

Gas is fine if you seldom pull a load. If you pull a load often, once you go diesel you will never go back! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Yeah, Roy, the rest of us, and the trucking industry in general. We all think diesels are better for hauling... except you.

The 70's? Wow, Roy was right, you need to get some better more current info.

I also knew a

Yup, you keep going farther back, we keep mentioning the past decade... time for new info Snodude.

Yeah, it'll ast a long time, but not as long as a diesel, nor will it haul the load as well as a diesel.

Get a clue.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Tom, for the miles you put on your truck I don't know if it is worth it to trade. Save it for pulling the trailer, drive something else when not. If you averaged allot more than the 5000 miles a year that you are doing now I would be tempted to go with a diesel. I sure as hell would not go with something smaller!! As I see it your options are to stay with the truck you have or go diesel. Trading to another gas of any size seems foolish to me when the primary use is to tow a travel trailer. As for having a diesel sitting for long periods between use, our farm trucks often sat for 11 month a year between use. Did not seem to bother them! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Okay, I guess we have to go down memory lanne here. My first plow truck was a 57 chevy 2wd 3speed, it had a plow that to raise you pumped up sorta like a porta power, then flipped a lever and it would drop. Power angle? Right, ya pulled a pin and muscled the blade.

What's my point? There isn't one. The info above is meaningless to this thread, as is the crap you've laid out. It is old and outdated as is your info about today's diesel.

The guy I knew had a chain drive. Today's drivetrains are better.

You really need to get out more.

Agreed but it will probably not last as long as a diesel nor will it be as cost effective.

One thing you might want to get a clue about. Quite a few of us here are probably older or as old as you. And have seen some of the same stuff as you. Also most have played with cars, trucks, boats, farm equipment, locomotives, race cars, pwc,atv's and much more. Most have learned to try to keep up with improvements and technology. You would be well served imo to do the same.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

A must have for the older folks.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

untill last week here in the south diesel was over $3 a gal now in the past couple of days its dropped below 2.50 almost caught up with pump gas.

chris

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

wait correct me if im wrong.....why would they need to redesighn the frame when the cummins was being used well before the BR/BE or heck what about the DR i think the cummins was in use before it was made too...but heck ive been wrong before.

Dodge quietly replace the front axle design in 03 because of the

funny my wife comments when i pull up in her durango how it sounds to her like its LOUDER than the diesel.

Again if you like them fine but

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Why would anyone bother to rebild a Cummins in a truck that has 300,000 miles on it? Therefore the cost to rebuild a Cummins is zero, because there's no reason to do it in a truck that has 300,000 miles. But, in a gas powered truck, by the time you reach 300,000 you would be approaching your second rebuild.

Where in the country is gas $2.13? It's more like $2.79 in Arizona.

John

Reply to
John

It's $2.06 here in Oklahoma. Diesel is still at $2.67 but seems to still be dropping.

Reply to
Jerry

There is something severely wrong if all you're getting is 8mpg with a diesel. I get around 20 on the highway with a 2003. I get 9-10 when towing an 8000# trailer.

John

Reply to
John

Just filled up today in OK for $2.03 gallon (unleaded), was only $2.00 after my Wal-Mart shopping card discount.

John H

John wrote:

Reply to
JPH