Power? POWER? What about milleage?

Page 2 of 3

Yeah, Roy, the rest of us, and the trucking industry in general. We all think diesels are better for hauling... except you.

The 70's? Wow, Roy was right, you need to get some better more current info.
I also knew a

Yup, you keep going farther back, we keep mentioning the past decade... time for new info Snodude.

Yeah, it'll ast a long time, but not as long as a diesel, nor will it haul the load as well as a diesel.
Get a clue.
--
Max

Okay, I guess we have to go down memory lanne here. My first plow truck was a 57 chevy 2wd 3speed, it had a plow that to raise you pumped up sorta like a porta power, then flipped a lever and it would drop. Power angle? Right, ya pulled a pin and muscled the blade.
What's my point? There isn't one. The info above is meaningless to this thread, as is the crap you've laid out. It is old and outdated as is your info about today's diesel.

The guy I knew had a chain drive. Today's drivetrains are better.

You really need to get out more.

Agreed but it will probably not last as long as a diesel nor will it be as cost effective.
One thing you might want to get a clue about. Quite a few of us here are probably older or as old as you. And have seen some of the same stuff as you. Also most have played with cars, trucks, boats, farm equipment, locomotives, race cars, pwc,atv's and much more. Most have learned to try to keep up with improvements and technology. You would be well served imo to do the same.
Roy

;^)
Mike

A must have for the older folks.<G>
Roy

good golly miss molly! people around here love a good argument and i am sure this thread still has some legs on it but....................i'm just hoping that you wrote the stuff above in that vein. that is, that you just wrote it to keep the argument going for the fun of it........because if you are serious, you are really stupid.

lol.....reading your entire post i _never_ saw that one coming. :-)
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com

Rubbish, there are many diesels that do not have oil lube oil coolers.

Wrong again. Diesels have a proven record of going farther than a gasoline engine, mainly due to a heavier design.

1) Cost of buying one is higher, but then so is resale value. 2) Maintenance is cheaper, as diesels do not require plugs, wires, coils, cap and rotor (if still used) 3) Cost of fuel vs gasoline is not high enough to make diesels less economical to operate. 4) Having that 1100# engine sitting on my axle means I don't have a problem steering or going in snow. 5) Removal of payload? My truck is rated at 8800 gross. The axles and tires are rated at a combined 12,000#, and I've put 14,000# on the road and driven several miles. Thats 5200# more than the claimed GVWR.

And I'm sure you have proof that the frame under the gasoline powered truck is only good enough for the light gasoline engine? I've jumped my truck over a snow mound and put 4' of air under the front wheels. The truck frame is fine trackbar sucked and was replaced.

Quietly? Bullshit, it was ANNOUNCED that they switched to American Axle, and that happened in 2002, IIRC.

None of what you describe above is true of a Cummins powered truck.

Who gives a fuck? I mean, if you want to sound like you are in an office, go stand in an office. The problem isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

If you aren't lying, it sucks to be you.
--
Max

truck
listen
it
costs,
before
cause
The
the
wait correct me if im wrong.....why would they need to redesighn the frame when the cummins was being used well before the BR/BE or heck what about the DR i think the cummins was in use before it was made too...but heck ive been wrong before.
Dodge quietly replace the front axle design in 03 because of the

funny my wife comments when i pull up in her durango how it sounds to her like its LOUDER than the diesel.
Again if you like them fine but

Why would anyone bother to rebild a Cummins in a truck that has 300,000 miles on it? Therefore the cost to rebuild a Cummins is zero, because there's no reason to do it in a truck that has 300,000 miles. But, in a gas powered truck, by the time you reach 300,000 you would be approaching your second rebuild.
Where in the country is gas $2.13? It's more like $2.79 in Arizona.
John
John wrote:

It's $2.06 here in Oklahoma. Diesel is still at $2.67 but seems to still be dropping.
Just filled up today in OK for $2.03 gallon (unleaded), was only $2.00 after my Wal-Mart shopping card discount.
John H
John wrote:

Nor do I. But then, I own a Cummins. The Duramax needs grid heater, glow plugs AND to be plugged in??

12 thanks. And I'll take that over the smaller amount anytime, given the design superiority

Hell, I don't even hear mine without the windows down, and I LIKE the windows down.

$3800 at purchase in 1999, and only $5000 this year. WTF are YOU pricing?? Oh yeah, the Duratrash.

Rubbish. To do what I did with mine two weeks ago, a gasoline truck would have burned twice the fuel. 19.6 MPG AVERAGE over 300 miles, and with 250 more covered at speeds in excess of 75MPH, I pulled 18.8MPG average. I doubt a gasoline truck could do that if it covered the same miles at the speed limit.

Bullshit. Do some math instead of running off at the mouth.
--
Max

I lived in New York, and never plugged it in. it started fine even in freezing weather.
John

I've never plugged my truck in once. Granted, I don't see sub-zero temps too often, but I've never had a problem with it starting in the morning.

Oil's cheap, and you can run twice as many miles on it, so it evens out (7,500/15,000 mile changes on the Cummins, vs. 3,000/6,000 on the DC gas engines [their recommendation])

Never driven a common-rail Cummins, have you? No rattling to be heard (well, unless you like to modify things a bit... but stock, it's as quiet as any gasoline V8)

$5K list - about $4,500 when the price is finalized.

I absolutely am. I used to drive a dually with a V10... 10-12MPG at best, at a current cost (to me) of $2.799 per gallon, or between $0.23 and $0.28 per mile. I now drive a dually with a Cummins, paying (currently) $2.899 for fuel, and get 18-22MPG at best, giving me a cost of between $0.13 and $0.16. Those are empty numbers. While towing an 8,000lb. enclosed trailer, I was getting about 7MPG with my gas engine, and about 15MPG with my diesel. That's almost $0.40/mile with the gasser, and just over $0.19/mile with my Cummins.
Now, I know.... you'll argue that a V10 is way too much motor, and I should compare it to a 360 gasser. Well, the 360 isn't enough engine for a 1-ton pickup, but for the hell of it, let's say that it is. I'd expect MAYBE 13-14MPG out of it empty, and maybe 8-9MPG towing... making the operating costs $0.20/mile empty, and $0.31/mile towing... with a powerplant that's barely adequate.
So - tell me again how my diesel is costing me more to operate?

Diesel will always be superior to gasoline in fueling trucks that haul loads. 100 years of history have proven this, as almost NO OTR rigs use gasoline engines anymore.
As to the MPG, perhaps if he had bought a real diesel and not the Duramax, he would be saving money. Inline six design is inherently superior to the V8 for pulling loads.
--
Max

But Max... all they have to do is slap some lower gears in there, and that little gas motor will pull that load just fine! :)
What would lower gears due to gas mileage, which is what this thread is all about?
John

Higher numerically (lower) would increase it.
Roy
As Tom said, higher numerically ( changing from 3.73 to 4.10 for instance) would make it easier to pull a load. But, at the same vehicle speed the engine would run at a higher RPM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would mean lower mileage.
John

Apologies, my bad, the above is WRONG!!
Trying to do too many things at once.
Roy