Removing transmission

Page 5 of 8

Back pedaling again? Your claim was and has been that entrapped air alone will cause the TO bearing to apply even in an otherwise normal system. A failure of the pedal to release is an abnormal condition. Budd is claiming that entrapped air alone caused the TO to apply and that a simple bleeding cured the problem. If the pedal wasn't in the full up position and bleeding was used to cure the problem, the problem would recur; Budd claims it didn't.

Really? because I'd like to see where I claimed anything of the sort. I suggested that air could do that under certain circumstances, but not all by itself.

Yet, not being able to see the device that Budd was working on, you're willing to claim otherwise.
Hell, I remember doing a clutch on a late 80's F250, 5spd built by Mazda, had the concentric slave cylinder. Bleed procedure required vigorous pumping "10-20 times". This step was to be repeated at least five times. After the second round of pumping, the clutch was operable, but air was still in the system. In this case, I suppose I could have waited a week for the air to work its way to the top, if it would. Its an open system and yet, I doubt after having bled it, that the air would have come out on its own.
I know thats an "open system", but I seriously doubt that the air in the slave cylinder would have just worked its way out. Why? Well, interesting that you migh ask that..... see, the BLEED valve is at the top of the cylinder, so air comes out the bleeder first (wonderful how they think of such things). The line from the master cylinder went into the lower side of the slave cylinder, thus making it impossible for any air in the slave cylinder to get out unless the system were bled.
Oddly enough (haha), I recall a bunch of hydraulic systems with the bleeder at the top of the slave, and the feed line at the bottom of the slave cylinder. Probably the same reason they put the bleeder on the top of a caliper, or the top of a wheel cylinder, and feed it from the bottom. And yeah, I know you'll say that the expansion should push the fluid back to out the top. But the likelyhood of that happening while someone keeps operating the master cylinder is minimal.
Yeah, its so unusual to have air trapped in a slave cylinder. Next time I see it happen, I'll be sure to document it with all the pics I can get, and have a notary certify my statements for you two.
I'd tell ya both to go back to school, but the proof is under the truck in your respective driveways.
--
Max

John,
Learn to read.
I said in one instance, the rented forklift, trapped air caused a bearing problem,which indicates it can happen elsewhere.
I also stated that the perfect system only exists in text books.
-- Budd Cochran
WARNING!!!
Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,
common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs
are still important in our society, and might include
them in his posts.

fully
claiming
bleeding

Once again, the trapped air, by itself, couldn't cause that problem; the trapped air had to be in an otherwise malfunctioning system. If you are as knowledgeful of the system as you claim to be, you would realize entrapped air could only cause a problem in a system whose return port was plugged.

Bullshit!!! A system that works as advertised is by definition perfect but, if by your definition, a system has to be incapable of malfunctioning then there is no perfect system.

bearing
And if you had been there you wouldn't be questioning my veracity. The fluid was as clean as it was from the brake fluid container.

but,
Whatever. Your mind is closed tighter than a bear trap.
-- Budd Cochran
WARNING!!!
Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,
common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs
are still important in our society, and might include
them in his posts.

Lemme tell you about the time I fixed a slipping transmission by tightening one lug nut on the left front wheel. Wanna argue that it couldn't happen?
>The fluid

So the fluid was clean, so what? Is dirty fluid the only thing that would obstruct a return

And yours isn't?
Gee, John, just call me a liar and get it over with, you'll feel much more superior that way.
-- Budd Cochran
WARNING!!!
Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,
common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs
are still important in our society, and might include
them in his posts.

the
plugged.
tightening

Liar is a little severe but, judging from past political posts and your signature line, you are inclined to believe fantasies.
Since I don't agree with you politically or religiously, I believe in fantasies???? . . .I could say the same about you.
Nevertheless, you've implied I'm lying and won't come right out and say it.
John, I know what fantasies are, I know what is fact and what is fiction, I know what fixed that forklift and you don't because you were not there.
The fantasy is that you claim you know what was wrong with it without seeing the vehicle.
And the sigline stays because it is not fantasy, it's the good old-fashioned values that this country was founded on. -- Budd Cochran
WARNING!!!
Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,
common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs
are still important in our society, and might include
them in his posts.

more
boys, boys. come on. starting to sound like romper room in here.
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:20:10 GMT, "Budd Cochran"

What about my previous statement: "Lemme tell you about the time I fixed a slipping transmission by tightening one lug nut on the left front wheel"?
Find any fault with that claim? Could you pass judgement on the validity of my claim without actually being there?
If you have reason to doubt the validity of the story explain the reason for your doubts.
John Kunkel wrote:

lol! Instead of admitting you screwed up, you're attempting to lead Budd into the same stupid ass BS you gave out. Now thats some funny stuff right there!
I think just about everyone has had something "fix itself" or become functional without the repair being the "correct" repair.
To me, it's just one of the things that keeps life interesting.
How ya been, Miles?
-- Budd Cochran

wheel"?
of
for
Budd Cochran wrote:

It happens sometimes. Other weird things happen to me too. When I've rebuilt an engine I take all the bolts, nuts, washers etc. and fill up several coffee cans. Then I reassemble everything and somehow have a coffee can of unused stuff left over. Dang engine runs fine for years and nothing falls off....weird!! lol

Is this a testament to your mechanical ability or the care you take during the operation?

You mean like in your fork lift example?

wheel"?
of
for
The only thing funny here is your complete lack of understanding. Where exactly did he screw up Miles and lets see the details.

of
saying. You were not there yet YOU are PASSING JUDGEMENT on what took place.

for
Simply put, I don't have to question the validitry of you STORY because YOU call it a STORY.
OTOH, I mentioned something the ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO ME ... not a story I made up to insult and ridicule another person.
Now, if you can accept that I can have an experience that doesn't fall inside your parameters, then we can go on, otherwise, you'll continue to insult me.
Let me guess . . .you've never had an item in disrepair become functional and leave you wondering exactly what you did right? If you have, then you know that things don't always follow the rules.

If I had been in your situation I would recognize the fact that the action I performed, by itself, wasn't sufficient to eliminate the root cause.
John, for the last time, you weren't there.
And, furthermore, I am not you.
-- Budd Cochran
WARNING!!!
Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,
common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs
are still important in our society, and might include
them in his posts.

functional
you