throw out or water pump?

I have noticed a noise in my YJ that I thougth was the throw out bearing as it goes away when the clutch is pressed(while sitting in the seat), but by listening in the engine bay the squeak sounds like it is up front around the water pump. I have not had some one else press the clutch while I listened up front to make sure it was the same. What do you think?

Reply to
aGraham

I would be checking the harmonic balancer I think. If it has separated it could be starting to tag the timing cover. There is a little back and forth play in the crank.

Mike

Mike Romain

When you press on the clutch, you are not only depressing the clutch, you are also pushing the crankshaft as far forward as it will go. If the thrust bearing is worn, this can be pretty far. This could be the crank pulley rubbing the timing cover. You can test this theory by trying to move the crank pulley in and out, with the engine stopped of course.

Solid materials are good conductors of sound. It could still be the clutch or throwout bearing, with the sound traveling forwards to where you can hear it by the water pump.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton