91 Explorer in Ottawa: is it worth anything

It's time to finally move on from my 1991 Explorer. I'm trying to separate its value from the price of a replacement (no "I'll give you $5000 for your trade-in but you have to pay retail for the new vehicle"). What, if anything, should I expect as a reasonable trade-in?

It's got

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Big Shoe

Thanks for the advice. I know that's the best way to do it, I guess I'm a little reluctant to deal with the hassles of selling privately. Which are of course probably much less than I imagine.

I tried Edmunds.com and got these results (gave it a Buffalo zip code):

Trade-in $1,014 Private $1,349 Dealer $1,951

kbb.com gave me these:

Trade-in $1,155 Private $2,325 Dealer $4,370

Interesting differences.

Also looked at

(which is mostly privately sales) and asked for prices (Canadian $) on 1991 Explorers in Ottawa. There are four listed and it says

Low C$1,200.00 Median C$1,747.50 High C$3,300.00

$1200 is for a Sport with 300000km, $3300 is for an Eddie Bauer, there's also $1500 for an EB and $1995 for an XLT (all Canadian $). So I guess there's still some value in my baby yet.

=aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Read lower on in the newgroup about my transmission.

How much do you want for your transmission?

Mike

Andrew Webber wrote:

Reply to
Michael Hill

[Replied by email, the problem is I don't have anywhere to store an Explorer without transmission. For that matter I don't have any easy way to get the transmission out anyhow.]

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

After you deduct the cost of the body repairs and tires, you're left with a negative number. :-(

The actual value will be maximized if you sell it yourself; a dealer won't give more than the absolute minimum in trade, which will be below the figures the books give. Good luck!

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

I'm located in Quebec province, how much do you want for it? I have a 1994 but I'm looking for one for mechanical spare part. Body doesn't interest me much... Let me know.

"Big Bill" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
The Punisher

Thanks for writing, I was able to get a dealer to give me $1000 in trade. I can provide his name by email if you (or anyone) wants to contact him, I don't think he's got a buyer for it (and he won't even get it from me for a couple of weeks).

=andrew

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

My experience is USA not Canada but given that the car dealers run the same scams on both sides of the border I believe you will do much MUCH better if you sell it yourself. The truck may be worth only a few hundred wholesale (and that is all the dealer will pay you for it. regardless of how much they say they will "allow" you against a new vehicle) but may well be worth one or two thousand to a private buyer. Down here in Oklahoma any roadworthy truck is worth at least $1000 US :)

I also have a '91 (200K miles) and plan to keep it two more years, then get either another Explorer or a Mercury Mountaineer. What are you looking for to replace your X?

Reply to
John D. Goulden

Reply to
Big Shoe

Thanks for the advice, and despite the fact that I went with unloading it on the dealer, I'm sure your advice was good. I just didn't want to deal with it any more, wanted to transfer my existing plates, and was happy to have someone else take care of it. I'm sure that's cost me something.

I'm going for a Subaru Forester, my requirements are very different than 14 years ago, no longer own a freestanding house, no longer haul an entire Explorer-load of games and books and magazines to game conventions and shows.

So the Forester is what I've chosen. I admit to wishing it were a bit higher, but when I got in the 2004 Jimmy (about the closest I found to my Explorer) it just seemed sooooo big and such a gas guzzler!

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

I'm quite sure your advice is right, it's what I believe at one level too. It was just that when push came to shove, I was willing to pay to have someone else (the dealer) handle it.

Thanks for your reply, as I said I do agree I would netted more that way.

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Andrew Webber wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Never, ever ever trade in a car at a dealership. If you're too lazy to clean it up and sell it, give it away becuase that's all you'll get there.

The trade-in is just another number figuers to screw you up and if you lease your new car, you'll never know what you're really paying ever.

With no 4/4 it's practically worthless, with the rust. I'd say maybe $500.- $1000.

I bet the silver paint is all faded out and flaking? Never buy a silver car.

Ebay does well I heard on parting out stuff like this.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Big Bill wrotenews:r0lum05vrjedci8stbhe5i6cej475ua697@

4ax.com:

Actually, that car will be wholesaled to a "your job is your credit" lot in the bad areas of town the day after it's left at the dealership in a trade- in.

On paper they'll show him $1,200, whatever will make him happy, but the price on the new one will be jacked up even more to more than cover it.

Generally, wholesale cars are a zero sum game for the dealership. They get around $300 at auction or wholesale for them, and that pays the used car manager and the paperwork.

And you're right, putting money into a car you're going to sell, unless it's simple soap and wash, vacuum and detailing, is worthless.

I once bought a nice Honda prelude from this silly girl who had just finished putting a new transmission and engine in it, and during the year she had it, a new battery, new tires, new shocks, new brakes and more. She sold it to me for $1,200. She must have put in over $7,000 just that year.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Andrew Webber wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

lol

You don't think he really gave you $1,000 do you?

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

"John D. Goulden" wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

ONe of the main reasons for getting a 4/4 when you buy a truck. No matter how old they get and crapped up, they're still worth $1,000 or more, just because of 4/4.

And an old American SUV with no AWD or 4/4 in rough shape is pretty worthless.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Nope.