Speedo rebuilt...now turning slower?

Recently I took my 96 Explorer to a shop because my odometer and trip meter stopped running. The speedo gauge still worked fine, but ultimately the problem was found to be in the speedo, and it was rebuilt. A few days ago I put the first new tank of gas in since getting the work done. As of right now my gas gauge is showing 3/4 of a tank, and my trip meter reads about 47 miles. If I'm lucky I'll get 50 while still on 3/4, which would work out to 200 for the tank. This is very low compared to all the tracking I did before, which was between about 250 and 260 average. Can anyone shed some light on why the big discrepancy? I've done my best to monitor it from time to time, just to make sure its turning. However, if its turning slower than normal I haven't noticed. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks and best wishes for the holidays.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Bob

Well, today after a round trip for work I concluded the odometer and tripmeter are running, just too slowly. I drive almost exactly 15 miles one way to work, and I checked the gauge before leaving home and upon arrival. I did this again on the drive home. The tripmeter registered almost exactly half the correct mileage....or about 7.5 miles. While I have no clue what's causing the problem, I feel pretty sure its related to an inability to vary according to speed. It appeared the rate of turn stayed the same, whether I drove 20mph or 60. I'm planning to return to the shop when I can work it into my schedule. For the time being, input is still appreciated. Thank you.