06 Ranger & odometer questions

got a buddy with an 06 ranger, and to get around his limitation in kilometers in his lease, he unhooked the fuse for the dash. Now when he puts the fuse back in, the check engine light is on. He thinks the truck is logging kilometers some other way than with hte odo on the dash, and this check engine light has something to do with that.

I think it has something to do with another code popping up.

Anyway, Can anyone confirm this "fuse pulling" works.

Reply to
Picasso

Well, other than us honest folks calling it "fraud"..... we sincerely hope and pray that both you and your buddy fall victim to similar fraudulent behaviour...

And, since it is OK for your buddy to do this, we don't expect you guys to cry about it when it happens....

I hope you guys get your asses nailed to the wall....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well first of all, you can stop talking about me in this. I own 3 vehicles, a snowmobile, and a fourwheeler, and i don't unhook any of them, and i certainly don't roll mine back.

I was just ask> Well, other than us honest folks calling it "fraud"..... we sincerely hope

Reply to
Picasso

Well. let's see... it looks to me like you are trying to help your buddy commit fraud..... As far as I am concerned, I have given the answer that the question deserves.

My Mum was Olde Englishe and would sometimes feel the need to utter "in for a ha'penny, in for a pound..."... Rough translation is "a lie is a lie" and there is little distinction between "big" and "small"..... and if that still escapes you - a liar is a liar is a liar..... be it a "teeny weeny" speedometer issue or a "rob a bank" deal.

It is you that has involved yourself into the equation.. you are now part of the equation..... It's not about what you haven't done - it is about what you are helping someone do....

I take nothing back and you are still implicating yourself in fraudulent behaviour.....

FWIW, while there are some "bad" laws on the books, any law that protects a consumer from fraud or theft can't be called "bad". The laws that you and your buddy are trying to defeat are there to protect all of us... including you and your buddy... And I'll bet that either one of you would cry loud and long if you fell victim to someone as scummy as you are trying to be....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well don't worry about what is about to be done, because it was done long before I asked the question. He simply asked me if there was any other record of the mileage other than what is displayed on the odometer.

No Jimmy Boy, you can end it right now, your po> Well. let's see... it looks to me like you are trying to help your buddy

Reply to
Picasso

Nitpick: the usage of this phrase is nothing to do with erasing the distinction between big and small, it's used to indicate that you're investing yourself into an activity wholeheartedly and not pulling back after an initial setback. For example, your friend asks you to help him pull the engine from a car, you get there and it turns out the tranny needs pulling as well - "in for a penny, in for a pound" you'd say as you get to work on the second task.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

The PCM depends on the same signal as the odometer to determine vehicle speed. Disabling the signal is screwing up the inputs to the PCM, thus the check engine light. A local genius did something similar to his Dodge truck. Instead of a fuse, he disconnected the electrical feed to the speedometer. After he did this, the truck shifted poorly and the check engine light came on. Like a real idiot, he took it to the dealership with the connector unplugged and bitched an moaned about the shifting problem. The mechanic "fixed" his problem by reconnecting the connector and logging the repair in the Chrysler computer. The next time he tried to get warranty serviec on the truck, Chrysler refused to pay becasue of the original fraud. Hopefully your friend will get the same treatment from Ford.

If your freind wants a longer warranty or more lease miles, he can pay for it. Disconnecting the odometer in an attempt to "extend" the warranty or lease terms is just plain stealing.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White