Dear Mr. Ford (a modest proposal)

Page 5 of 6

I don't care for the styling of the Zephyr, but seriously. Have you actually driven the new Maxima??? Well I have and it is a poor cross between an old pacer and a George Jetson car it has a dash board that looks like it belongs on a vending machine, not in a car, did I mention the horrible torque steer. No thanks that's not my idea of a better car.
I drove the 06 Maxima than the 06 all wheel drive Ford Five Hundred one right after the other on the same day at the same dealership. The Ford Five Hundred is absolutely a better car, and it costs less than the Zephyr.
351CJ wrote:

The torque steer is bad, but the power and handling are good.

210 horses or somehting is ridiculous for such a big sedan. A 06 Passat with AWD is the car to go in this class.
223rem wrote:

Eh, in this case, I might not go for it. The A-series (Golf, Jetta, GTI, GLI) VWs have been solid, if a little more expensive to run than their Japanese counterparts, so I don't hesitate to recommend them, but the B-series (Passat) have been notoriously problematic. Personally I don't like big cars so it's not a concern to me, but I wouldn't recommend a Passat to someone looking for reliable, economical transportation.
nate
N8N wrote:

Reliable, economical transportation = Toyota Corola.
The V6 AWD Passat looks awesome (good looks, good power, AWD), although a little pricey (invoice at 30K). I wish I had gotten that :(
Have you actually priced the two? The larger 500 with its six speed and CVT trannys does quite well.
mike hunt

Two reason my wife liked the car and I no longer buy foreign cars. I only paid $27,600 for the Zephyr, far less than $34,000 for an Avalon
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Huh?! One can get a 280 hp base Avalon for around $26,000. Far more power than the Lincoln, far better quality and resale value. It is a no-brainer, really.
Really, then how come the Toyota dealer wanted $34,000 for a top of the line Avalon Have actually gone into the market and tried to buy a new vehicle lately? LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

You dont have to buy a top of the line Avalon. The base one is just fine, it just doesnt have the luxury options.
That is precisely why we bought the Zephyr, it comes standard with all of the luxury and safety equipment that my wife wanted. ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I guess there are people like that. Me, I prefer a better car with less options to an inferior car with more options.
Before you can make a choice you will first need to be in a position where you can write a check to buy a new car. LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

You write personal checks when buying a car? Interesting. I always had to give them banker checks.
Still, the point was that it is silly to get a mediocre car with lots of luxury options. A FWD Lincoln without power will suck no matter how much leather and wood trim you put on it.

That's funny, I've always written a personal check for my new cars, even my new tractor. NEVER any question about my check being good or not.
351CJ wrote:

Tractor? Where you live everybody knows everybody, right?

Well, there likely WAS a question, but they got it answered before you left the place.

Yet oddly my Japanese econobox gives me basically all of the above, except power... It's enough to get me up to speed before 90% of Californians, but that's as useful as being able to shoot 90% of a school of paraplegic fish in a barrel.
It's still worlds better than the Cavalier I drove, since it doesn't cause back problems.
Dave Hogan
Nate Nagel wrote:

The V8 Impala has plenty of power. And the 3.9 liter one is not too bad either powerwise.
223rem wrote:

I'm talking about a base model 3.4, a combination that really shouldn't have been offered. I'm sure that part of the reason that economy is so bad is that you have to drive it foot-to-the-floor quite a bit to keep up with children on bicycles.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel