Mercury computer codes

Hi everyone, I am an electrical hobbyist, and I am looking at making a little add on to my Mercury Grand Marquis. I want to use a little processor, and
read the computer codes on the Mercury periodically, among other functions. My problem is I can't find any technical information on the protocol/error message definitions. If any of you have run across such information, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send it to me. Thanks
Is your Mercury any particular year?
Nathan Schemm wrote:

You might look here http://www.autotap.com / AutoTap OBDII Diagnostic Scanner - The OBDII Scan Tool for reading and diagnosing engine trouble codes and more
Nathan Schemm wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nathan Schemm) wrote:

If your car is '96 or later, this is what you want.
http://www.carchip.com/home_static.asp
Al
--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com mentioned...

You didn't even say what year it is. You should be asking this on the rec.auto.tech newsgroup.
I've seen all sorts of info on the 'net about the Fords ECS system, the info isn't hard to find.
--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

Watt Sun's post lead here: http://groups.google.com/groups?num 0&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=OBDII+OR+OBD-II&btnG=Google+Search
cessna's post lead here: (I recently saw an ad for a $140 device--I should have remembered.) http://www.google.com/search?num 0&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=OBDII+OR+%22OBD+II%22&btnG=Google+Search
Bev Roadman's page is here: http://obddiagnostics.com /
Jeff Noxon (and the OpenDiag project) have done this for Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, or Skoda only. http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/obdii / http://www.opendiag.org /

You need to learn more about how newsgroups work. (Think "community".)

Pages about On-Board Diagnostic system version 2 (OBD-II) that you should read:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/OBDII.htm The basics
http://obddiagnostics.com/FAQ.html Good FAQ
http://www.cardlabs.com/CardLabs_obd2.htm The communications protocols
http://www.obdii.com/connector.html Which cars use which protocol?
http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/obdii_hardware.htm List of software projects at the bottom of the page)
http://freediag.sourceforge.net/doc/Scantool-Manual.htm A software project DIY hardware projects at the bottom of the page
http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/obdii / Jeff Noxon's hardware interface project (He says it's for Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, or Skoda only) PDF & EAGLE docs; links to cables and software
http://www.avt-hq.com/OBD_hw.htm Has connector pinouts
http://www.openg.org/tiki/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId 8&topics_threshold=0&topics_offset=1&topics_sort_mode=commentDate_desc&topics_find=&forumId# These guys are trying to do their own software project (Back up thru the directory tree for more insight)