Question about car. It idles.

Hi I have a 2001 Ford ZX2 which has been taken into Ford to have it fixed and it has been there three times. It has 3600 miles. First two times they replaced
the engine mounts with no success. Now they have replaced the engine mounts and say that if it idles a little it is normal. Is this true? I would like to have my car not idle at all. It never idled before. Sorry if I sound very amatuer about this. But I know nothing of cars. Any other info I can think of is the steering wheel is what would idle the most. My car would just shake. Even my glove department would vibrate cause of it. Any help would be appreciated.
I think we're having a problem with semantics here... could you clarify what you mean by the car "idles"?
Nic

and
replaced
mounts and

have
amatuer
the
my
The steering wheel itself will just vibrate like crazy. This up and down vibration. To the point even the glove deparment vibrates due to the intensity. As far as I know it is just the steering wheel. But it would happen most when sitting at a light or reversing out of a parking space. When driving it at high speeds its fine. The car was feeling like I am sitting in a vibrating chair. I am sorry if I still am not explaining this correctly. But it is all I know how to describe it. Thanks for the reply.
Leo

He means he can feel a vibration at idle. His question is; is that vibration at idle normal because he would not like to feel it.

vibration at

Probably is normal to some degree...Escorts are not known for (smooth) idle quality.
And what do you base this opinion on?? The one you had that had a valve out of it?? Mine's as smooth as silk with 169,000 miles. Could set a class of water on the engine, dash or steering wheel and not hardly see a ripple. No reason for any engine to idle rough. ('cept of course a junky 351 EFI)
--
Steve
=========

Idle roughness or the perception of; is very subjective. How much is ok depends on each person. Apparently you are happy with the idle quality of your car, thus the old glass of water clich.

On 11 May 2004 19:34:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rainboy of Mourn) wrote:

Some vibration of the dash and steering wheel of the ZX2 is normal. I personally found it a bit more than I would like in the one I had. Even though there are some 4 cylinder vehicles that seem rather smooth, all of them vibrate at idle to some degree depending on the measures taken in the design of the engine and it's mounting system to counteract the power impulses of the engine at idle speed and isolate them from the vehicle. The best way to avoid the idle vibration of a 4 cylinder is to buy a 6, 8, 10, 12 or whatever engine has more cylinders. The reduced fuel efficiency of a larger engine with more cylinders will be the tradeoff. Generally, more cylinders result in the idle speed power impulses being closer together resulting in perceived smoother operation. This is the same thing that happens in a 4 cylinder when you increase the engine speed and it seems to smooth out - the power impulses get closer together.
Hi, I have a 1991 Ford Explorer, it shifts very good but it slips,I put those chemicals(Lucus) but did not help any idea, Thanks, Erkan
Hi,

I have a 98 Ford Escort SE with the same type of problem (the description is "rough idle", by the way). Ford suggested exactly the same thing, and I am glad I didn't bite on that repair.
I just replaced the engine on this car last week, and it still has the problem. Could be PCM, could be vacuum leak (but doesn't seem to be), but I am gradually narrowing it down, I've read a lot of comments that suggest this problem can be caused by a dirty IAF solenoid valve. Depending on what engine you have, you can either clean it or replace it. Unfortunately, my engine has the "replace it" type valve. I've ordered one and am waiting to receive it...