Using Synthetic Oil in 2005 Ford Escape First Time

Page 1 of 2
Hi All: I have a 2005 Escape Ltd. I have about 5k miles so far (bought it last June). In the past I have used synthetic oil on my Crown Vic. The oil seems to stay cleaner and supposedly you can let it go longer
between oil changes. Eventually I want to start using synthetic in my Escape. Is now a good time (5 k miles). Not sure about break in periods etc. I think that there are no break in periods anymore.

imho:
If you go beyond the manufacturers recommended oil change schedule, you could very well void your warrenty. So a faulty engine could cost you thousands, after saving yourself a few bucks on oil changes. You do the math. Follow the directions in your owner's manual. There too, you will find if there was a breakin period. Might by under "first time oil change"
hth,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Actually there is no mention of "first time oil change" in the owner's guide for a 2005 Escape. I downloaded and scanned a 2005 Escape Owner's Guide to confirm this. The 2005 Escape does include an oil change reminder feature. The guide says it should alert you for an oil change approximately every 5000 miles. The guide does not explain whether this is strictly a mileage driven indicator, or one that calculates oil life based on other factors. It does allow you see what percentage of your oil life is remining at any particular time.
Changing to synthetic oil at 5000 miles will not be a problem. Changing to synthetic at 500 miles would not be a problem either. In fact, as far as I know, a 2005 Escape was delivered with a synthetic blend from Ford.
Ed
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:50:57 -0500, "C. E. White"

imho:
Now this might be spliting hairs, but isn't a higher mileage frequency like 5000, for a condition of driving that is almost a fantasy? Dustless, hillless, straight line distances of over 30 miles, etc, etc. Mean right now, here in eastern Pa, with all the road grim, and salt, no matter my driving habits, I have to get into the more agressive 3000 mile oil change schedule. See what I mean?
The 5000 is more like ideal driving conditions, and I've never run accross ideal driving conditions, with the enviroment, or my short trips now and then. So, becareful.
On a side note, I've read some makes and model cars, the car sale person has actually ripped out the 'ideal', higher oil change schedules out of owners manuals to 'encourage' the new car owner to follow the 3000 mile/oil change schedule. Since we do not drive in an ideal world.
Nuff rambling, what I'm saying, lawyers wrote the warrenty, so remember who you have to appease to keep your care under warranty. ;)
hth,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com
opined

No, Extreme Conditions usually refer to dusty conditions and/or high engine loads.
Or duty cycles like a city cab

Ummm driving patterns matter, yes! But not as much as in the past since rich conditions during warmup arent as prevalent.
Now condensation still matters... but a longish trip once ot twice a wekk should take care of that.
And you would have us believe that you live in dust-storm purgatory... Right NOw the conditions suck but what about the other 9 months of the year?
And you ARE using a good air filter, arent you? This isnt a fifties car with open CV.
Who says you have to change more often? Do you have the oil tested?

Now THAT is the crux of the matter
Just use Mobil1 in the grade/weight specified.

Backyard mechanic is correct. The driving conditions you describe are not extreme conditions. Every 5,000 mi should be fine.
And Mobil 1 is excellent oil.
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

My Dodge is motor hour driven, but trips pretty close to the suggested mileage. My Honda is mile-driven. When it turns on, the odometer is exactly on the mile mark from the last dealer service.

The oil change reminders in Mercedes are driven by a combination of performance factors including engine hours, individual run times, load, and temp. It does not include any actual sensing or test of the oil. That's why they were only valid with synthetic oil, as delivered.

My 2005 Escape says 10,000 miles, six months, or 200 hours.
In my car with a trip computer, we always seemed to average 45mph over extended periods, so we wouldn't reach 10,000. Maybe that 200 is supposed to include idling, which my Escape rarely does, so 10,000 seems good for our current driving conditions.
The 2005 Escape Hybrid manual says: "To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change (approximately 10,000 miles [16,000 km] or 12 months) perform the following: ...Note: This feature is based on distance traveled or time elapsed since last reset. You must reset this feature every oil change to ensure accuracy"

snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

I think you are falling prey to the Jiffy Lube advertising scam. Here is what Ford says constitutes "Special Operating COnditions" that may require that some (but not all) item be maintained more frequently:
"Items Needing Special Attention
"If you operate your Ford/Lincoln/Mercury primarily in one of the more demanding Special Operating Conditions listed below, you will need to have some items maintained more frequently. If you only occasionally operate your vehicle under these conditions, it is not necessary to perform the additional maintenance. For specific recommendations, see your dealership service advisor or qualified service professional." [I have listed all the conditions that require 3000 mile oil changes]
"* Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier [requires 3000 mile oil changes]
"*Extensive idling and/or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, patrol car or livery [requires 3000 mile oil changes]
"*Operating in dusty conditions such as unpaved or dusty roads [requires 3000 mile oil changes]
So just how often do you more than "occasionally operate your vehicle under these conditions?" Jiffy Lube sells the idea that normal stop and go driving is severe service. Ford isn't making this claim. I have one vehicle, a 2003 Saturn Vue, that has an oil life monitor that calculates oil change intervals based on more than just miles. So far I have never actually waited long enough for the indicator to tell me it was time to change the oil despite waiting past 6000 miles to change the oil on three occasions. So far I have changed the oil early because the weather was good and I had the time, or because I was getting ready to take the car on a longer trip. For the most part, I only use the car as a commuter vehicle, so I am pretty sure Jiffy Lube would claim I should use the severe service schedule. I beg to differ!
Ed

The salesperson wants the buyer to visit the dealer's service department more frequently, whether or not it is actually necessary.
Timothy J. Lee

From <http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ownerlit/ I presume. Having a pdf file is handy for searching. I also have it "with me", instead of out in the car, when I think about something I want to look up.

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXUsing.usenet.us.com wrote:

Ford provides downloadable copies at a number of places. There is the Motorcraft site you cited. But you can also get them by registering at http://myford.fordvehicles.com or from https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp
Ed

That's odd. Going to the ownerlit site today gives me an authorization error. I don't remember how I located that site. I thought maybe I needed to go through myford first, but when i go there and visit the resources page, the owner guide is "temporarily unavailable". It didn't take me to the ownerlit page, though.
The fleet site doesn't have the Escape Hybrid. The one from ownerlit is marked "preliminary", but I haven't noticed any discrepancies. Odd that they aren't in sync. Good thing I already have my copy ;-)
--
---

The fleet site doesn't have an owner guide for the 2005 escape hybrid. The maintenance schedule looks pretty simple, though. ;-) <http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/bogus-fleet-ford-100k-maint-sched-05-escape-hybrid.pdf
I guess they aren't quite ready with that one yet.
--
---
snipped-for-privacy@xrexxusing.usenet.us.com wrote:

That page doesn't work for me directly, but I can get the manual from http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp owner information.
--
---
The break in miles terminated around 4,000 miles ago.
msterspy wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:29:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:
That's what I thought about the break in period. There really isn't one anymore, at least not like years ago.
I'm not looking to stretch time between oil changes, I just happen to like using synthetic. The stuff stays really clean and if I can't get around to changing it for a few hundred miles or so, its no big deal.
Some people feel that synthetic is a waist of money. Anyone have any oppinions on that issue here? Also, I'm wondering if synthetic oil increases fuel economy. Any comments on this subject are greatly appreciated.

any

I hear it doesn't burn that well
msterspy wrote:

I've been using Mobil One exclusively in my 2000 Taurus since I bought it as a program car. I've noticed the quick oil change outfits put a 3,000 mile sticker on it hoping I'll be back that quickly. I never am; the manual specifies every 5,000 miles for most Ford vehicles. That's good enough for me.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:19:17 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

This was a rumor, the manual assumes you are using virgin oil. The quick change places might be using recycled oil and might only have a guarenteed life of 3000 miles.
So, ask.
imho,
tom

snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Recycled Mobile One? I doubt it seriously.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN