European tyre load codes

My 2 litre Focus Estate from 2000 was equipped with 195/60 R15 88V Michelin Energy tyres when new.

88V means the tyres are specified for 240 km/h. Could I use 88H tyres as an alternative, they are specified for max 210 km/h and the car would hardly do more than that? I can find no recommendation in the manual other than: "different engine options have different tyre speed requirements" or something similar. I didn't like the Michelins, and can now find Nokian NRe 88H tyres for a nice price. What gives?
Reply to
per

In alt.autos.ford.focus per :

AFAIK using V rated tires is a little security concern, at least my Focus (2.0l wagon) does a little more then H rated tires allow according to GPS, dunno how fast it could get with a little downhill or so. I'd double check with your insurance/etc if you are fine using those tires? You wouldn't over here (Germany).

Reply to
Michael Heiming