98 F-150 4X4 Question

I bought a 98 F-150 last year. It runs great/drives great but when I use

4-wheel drive and attempt to make a tight turn it seems to put a noticable strain on the trransmission. The truck has a 5-speed transmission and I really have to give it more gas to make the tight turn. I have and Explorer 4X4 too and don't notice any problems making tight turns in 4X4 mode. Any ideas on what might be wrong? thanks Phil
Reply to
AFMAN72

Did you read the owner's manual? You're not supposed to use 4WD on dry pavement.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
AFMAN72

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:13:11 -0600, AFMAN72 rearranged some electrons to form:

Well, firstly, hopefully you aren't trying to do this on a dry road because you will break something quickly.

Most likely there is nothing wrong with it. The CV joints aren't perfect and when you turn them at a sharp angle, they are going to have some resistance. Try not to make tight turns in 4wd and don't worry about it.

Reply to
David M

Reply to
AFMAN72

There is no problem at all when on icy or snowy roads. I have lived in the So Calif mountains for the last 20 years where going for 2-3 weeks straight with the hubs locked is common. However, Just throw the Transfer Case lever into 2wd when moving from ice to non-ice. When the roads are icy you can leave it in 4wd all the time.

Reply to
Mellowed

The 97-03 F150s do use CV joints, not U-joints. The front is binding up simply because in a turn the 2 wheels move at different speeds and on dry ground, one can not slip.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

It's normal. Ignore it.

Reply to