Recomended Motor Oil for 98 F150

I've got a '98 F150 5.4 liter with 152,000 miles on it. It's been run, by the previous owner, on Chevron Delo 400 15w40 oil for the past 40,000 miles. I've thought about changing the oil to Castrol Syntec 5w30...is that a good idea with that many miles on that motor?

Later... Grant

Git-R-Done!!!

Darrell Russell (1968-2004)

Reply to
Forcefan83

Thanks for all the help...

good thing I don't have to rely on this newsgroup for any information!!!!

Later... Grant

Git-R-Done!!!

Darrell Russell (1968-2004)

Reply to
Forcefan83

A good bet would be to use a good name brand straight 30 weight oil. Multi-vis oils are not necessary or recommended.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Relax man,

Ya gotta give folks time to answer.

Some people don't turn on their computers every day.

I wouldn't switch to a lighter oil with high mileage, the suggestion of a straight 30W is good unless you live in a cold climate in the winter.

A 20W 50 would be a good multi viscosity for you, just stay with a good brand, and the new oils for high mileage vehicles look promising, although they are probably more hype than substance.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Eventho a synthetic oil may be rated the same viscosity of a conventional oil. I've heard that the synthetics contain smaller molecules than that of a conventional oil.

Since the molecules are smaller they say that if you have any oil leaks that they will probably leak faster.

I don't know.

But the synthetic oils are also supposed to thicken less in the winter time, making for easier cold starts.

I wrote to Shell about using their Rotella Oil in my diesel tractor.

Their response was "Use any of our Multi-grade Convention oil, because it doesn't get cold enough in North Carolina to see a benefit from using our Synthetic versions."

Reply to
Eb

||Eventho a synthetic oil may be rated the same viscosity of a ||conventional oil. I've heard that the synthetics contain smaller ||molecules than that of a conventional oil.

As I understand it, it's more the case that a synthetic has all identical molecules, chains the same length. Conventional oil has a range of sizes, so the weight is more of an average for that batch.

||Since the molecules are smaller they say that if you have any oil ||leaks that they will probably leak faster.

Early Mobil 1 formulations had a lower surface tension, which meant they leaked easily. That formula changed long ago, plus engines are much better sealed now. Today it's a non-issue.

||I wrote to Shell about using their Rotella Oil in my diesel tractor. || ||Their response was "Use any of our Multi-grade Convention oil, because ||it doesn't get cold enough in North Carolina to see a benefit from ||using our Synthetic versions."

Good for them! Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B