2.2 swap

Would it be feasible to take a 2.2 from a '94 Cavalier and install it in a '96 Ciera?
Thanks,
Ken

NapalmHeart wrote:

There could be a lot of plumbing issues here. Somwhere in this time frame from they went to roller cams. Different heads Fuel injection. cam and crank sensors.
If your donor does not have the same type of injection and sensors your in no mans land.
Bob
-

In Ohio it would not matter if the engine fit or not. The 94 engine would have to meet the 96 EPA pollution standards. If the state testers could not hook up "on board diagnostics 2" they would have to do a tailpipe test.

I'm in a rural area of Michigan and so far we don't have to deal with such things. Thanks for the reply.
Ken

feasible? yes...im more than sure the wiring/ecm syatem will need to move with the engine but i have ran into underpowered 2.2's in the same platform (why anyone would want to do this was not in the question) and the same year...2.2 is agreat engine for very small cars and trucks and large lawnmowers. very durable and easy repairs...........good luck, kjun
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

The reason I would want to do this is that the 2.2 in my daughter's Ciera seized. I know someone who has a 2.2 in a '94 Cavalier that I can get for free. Car insurance in my state (MI) is too expensive to put a 17 year-old in a very valuable car. The body of the Ciera is in good shape and the brakes and suspension have a lot of new parts. It is worth fixing if the majority of the cost is my time to do the swap.

You can sometimes get a feel for interchangeability by going to www.car-part.com and looking at the engines from their database which fit your application. Even then, there might be other questions to ask before you consider such a swap.
NapalmHeart wrote:

More tech info:
http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/tt/tt30216.htm
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb80230.htm
(note the part about the cam sensor starting in 96)
BOB
-