Re: GM V6 engine warning - true sad story (long)

Page 2 of 2
"ben@" wrote

Interesting, the 2004 manual for the VUE does show a 3.5 engine. It doesn't specifically say that it's made by Honda, but it certainly doesn't look like anything that GM makes or uses. Certainly looks bad for GM when they have to pull their "world" v-6 engine and use a Honda engine.
Ian
shiden_Kai wrote:

<http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_saturn_gets_honda <http://www.edmunds.com/news/regularnews/articles/97849/article.html <http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Future/poweredbyhonda.shtml
"y_p_w" wrote

Thanks for the links. Any engine is better then the "Opel derived" v-6 piece of shit.
Ian
IAN,
does the " violet - lightning " in your e mail address come from the lyrics in a Jefferson Starship song?
V-L is chanted five times in the song the " Girls With The Hungry Eyes".
I guess I'll have to pull out the ol' records again .
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
"Harry Face" wrote

No, I wasn't even aware that that phrase was in any Starship song.
Here, I'll give you a link that will explain where I got the nick from and the "violet-lightening-modified" part of it. I happen to have an interest in aircraft, particularly the fighter planes of WWII. I have an old book that I first read years ago, called "Samurai". It's the story of the top Japanese living fighter ace from WWII. In there, the Japanese named many of their fighters quite interesting names. So I grabbed one for my nick when I first started on the net.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/kawanish_n1k2.htm
Ian
shiden_Kai wrote:

Maybe even a Honda engine... :-p
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 03:40:38 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

DO you refer to the Opel/Vauxhall engine that GM stuffed into some Saabs in the mid 90's ? Some dingbat at GM decided that Saab needed a V6 to sell cars, even though Saab's turbo 4 had more power. Go figure. Anyway, the engine needs timing belt changes every 30-35K or you buy a new motor at 36K. Nice gear.
"Jimmy" wrote

I believe it's the same motor. No power, horrible to work on, just generally an all around nasty little engine.
Ian
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:09:16 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

The 2004 Saturn Vue has a Honda V6 in it.
????????
Weird, my 1990 Grand-Am with the quad-4 engine runs like a charm (no leaks or burns) but my buddy's 1990 Honda Accord has been burning oil for the past 5 years...
Dan 1990 Grand-Am SE Quad-4 HO 5 spd 1989 Chevy Corvette 5.7 TPI

is
plugged
would
card.
JazzMan wrote:

Of course its a bad idea. What else would you expect from someone who suggests getting a Honduh?
:-p
Hopefully, GM will one day WAKE UP and start taking care of its customers. | You have to question the wisdom of a company when it is willing to give | $4000 incentive to sell a vehicle but unwilling to spend a single penny to | retain a faithful customer. Furthermore, given the extent of the problem, | any responsible company would have recalled these engines already | | TRUE story but SAD to see a great company seeking its own destruction. |
The above is such a wise and true statement.
MAke it a new discussion thread?
Infuriating isn't it! I don't see myself buying another GM for a long time. After having spent $18,900 for a used 1999 Montana back in 2000 (More than I have ever paid for a brand new vehicle) GM feels I don't matter since I didn't purchase it new. My wife has owned GM's for the 28 years she has been driving, but no more after this if I have anything to say about it. IF I would have caught the coolant level dropping at the 1st instant it started happening and brought it in to the dealership I could have had the lower intake manifold gasket replaced under warranty, assuming of course the garage would have diagnosed the problem correctly (doubtful). I first added Dexcool at about 37k miles and NEVER had a drop on the garage floor until this last winter at aprox 62k miles? Immediately diagnosed and fixed for $653US. I feel fortunate that oil contamination doesn't seem to have happened in my case.
It is my "mission" to spread the word to as many people as possible to catch as many of these 2003 and older 3.4 liter cars that are still under warranty. I have caught one so I figure I am even. For every other one from here on out....I win! My only hope is that I have the van long enough to be reimbursed for my repair when this thing turns into a recall! Fight the good fight. Good luck!

self-destruct
Sorry to hear about your misfortune too. You should file complaints with NHTSA http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and CAS http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php if you have not done it already. A lot of us (victims) vented their anger on the web but too few of us are willing to take the time to file a complaint or write to consumer advocates, news media, government watchdog agencies and officials. I think there are enough of us to get the government's attention and enough of us to give "bad press" for GM to recall these defective engines. A Corporation like GM feels the heat only if there is an investigation by the government for a potential forced recall or really bad publicity. Class action suits ?, GM can settle for practically nothing by paying off the lawyers and printing a bunch of "worthless" coupons for the victims.

GM
I don't remember which of the 2 agencies you mentioned that I filed with, but I did get on the big petition and sent e-mails to the local newspaper and 3 local TV stations. I had one interview on TV. The GM dealership I bought the thing from mentioned that if there was a recall I might receive a coupon good for money off another GM purchase, which I replied "even if it was for 5 grand, it would be worthless to me because I wouldn't buy one of these **itboxes again!" Cash talks and BS walks. I don't think the new car sales manager was too impressed. I bought 3 cars from him and I don't see it happening again. Oh well, thanks for the reply and keep on kickin' and scratchin'!

1996-2003