protectionist b.s.

Page 2 of 7

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100203/ts_alt_afp/japanusautocompanyrecalltoyota_20100203001517
In the local paper a couple days ago, a 79 year old women crashed into a veterinarian's office claiming that the gas pedal on her new Toyota stuck. The dealer found nothing wrong with the car. With that story in the paper were reports of drivers complaining to the local Toyota dealer that they received speeding tickets because of "stuck" pedals. And so it has begun. And yet much more to come.

Keep in mind that there have been exactly twelve (12) confirmed incidents of actual stuck gas pedals on Toyotas since October. Worldwide. Over 2.3 million vehicles.
That's 0.00052%, in case anybody's counting.
--
Tegger

That is well within any reasonable sample of defects for the NASA space program parts!!!
THIS has been wildly overblown. BUT....Toyota has been up to the challenge. They will have it fixed. The Toyota vehicles will be better than the space shuttle after all is said and done.

On 2/3/10 7:28 PM, in article geWdnbQpzPojv_fWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com,

I remember a month or two after the overturning Ford Explorer fiasco hit the press there was suddenly an epidemic of SUVs of all makes and models flipping over on their sides at every intersection. Before all the publicity, I don't remember ever seeing an overturned SUV. Strange things happen when people start thinking they can cash in.

Let's look at some facts: - 2,300,000 vehicles operated daily without incident. - Two fatal incidents, five deaths (four of them in one incident). - Twelve actual documented cases of stuck gas pedals. - 0.00052% rate of incidence for stuck gas pedals. - The NHTSA has currently 40 "defect" investigations going on. Three involve Toyota. 37 involve other automakers. - Ford accounts for 28% of all SUA incidents, but not a peep is heard about that.
I'm reading the paper this afternoon, and it appears there may be just a tad more to this SUA issue than actual malfunctions...
As is well known by now, the Obama administration is very much beholden to trade unions. Obama even admitted in an interview during the election campaign that he owes a lot to the unions and would do whatever they wanted.
Well, Toyota just closed a large and unionized plant in California. It seems the UAW is now exercised about that. Plus they're looking for sales for GM and Chrysler, which are now partly union-owned and are losing market share.
What better way to get what they want than to nudge the Obamistas into slagging those successful little yellow (non-union) foreigners? You think LaHood is his own man here? Nope.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

You're in the wrong country... We need you here!
Come on down to TX, get your concealed carry permit and have fun. First trip to the range will be on me...
JT
It's the fault of the Unions? I thought it was the fault of President Bush ;)

Obama is a union stooge. He's even admitted it.
--
Tegger

On 02/04/2010 03:43 PM, Tegger wrote:

well said.

OTOH,it might be just that the media began NOTICING the SUV rollovers,and reporting nationally on every one that happened,instead of just local reporting.
Kinda like reaching critical mass.... ;-)
Now,I've been reading that the Obama administration's -reaction- to the Toyota recall may be due to union influence,considering Toyota is NON-union and a "foreign" automaker. (although it's cars have more domestic content than many "American" vehicles,that may be made in Canada or Mexico.
On the Prius brake/cruise control problem,considering that car is a hybrid electric(with integral computer control of throttle/braking),I can see software bugs cropping up. Sometimes it takes a while to encounter a SW bug,particularly under unusual conditions. Like what happens if a ROM's data is corrupted;lose a byte here or there,in the wrong place,and you have a potentially hazardous condition waiting to be discovered.There's all sorts of reasons memory data could get corrupted,AFTER the car is shipped and sold. At least aircraft have redundant systems.
that's why I'm not so hot on drive-by-wire autos;SW glitches.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 02/04/2010 08:29 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

well, i drove a prius extensively this past summer, and found it to be a smooth, finely engineered vehicle - no glitches, flaws, or mistakes in performance anywhere. responsive too. wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for driveability.
i also drove a chevy hhr, and if there is an example of "fly-by-wire" done wrong, the hhr is it - what a piece of crap. whoever decided a vehicle needs a 3-second delay on mid-throttle response needs a good kicking in the gonads.

Geeze, you drove a Prius for a whole summer without any braking problems, and that proves it is great automobile.
Ok/
I have driven A WHOLE BUNCH OF GM CARS FOR OVER 34 YEARS with 'no glitches, flaws or mistakes in performance anywhere".
I would recomend any of them for driveability, as well.
Of course, my 34 years of GM dont count for much, because you drove a TOYOTA FOR A WHOLE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess that makes you an expert on the reliablity on Toyota products.
And, I guess, I need to own GM products for another 34 years before I begin to know anything about them.
You really sound stupid when you try to say the couple of miles you drove this car proves it is better than a brand that someone else has driven for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Without sludge problems.
Or accelerator sticking problems.
Or rusting problems.
Or breaking problems.
Of course, none of the above problems really exist on Toyotas.
You know that because you drove a Prius for a summer.
Get a grip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"They are being set up."
I argued GM was being unfairly slammed for many years.
Your turn to argue Toyota is being done the same way.
I would wish you good luck in your crusade to prove they ain/t being done the same way, but I dont want to be a liar.
I hope they have to recall another 20,000,000 vehicles, and listen to the likes of you try to defend it.

On 02/06/2010 10:44 PM, jr92 wrote:

well apparently you haven't bothered to check out the competition. and you haven't lifted the lid on quality either.

breaking? or braking?

1. the fundamental problem with your position is swallowing the red herring that there is a "problem" with toyota. if there's a "problem" with toyota, why are we not also hearing about the much more common problems with frod and bmw? their failures outnumber toyota's >100:1.
2. "the likes of me" know a little about engineering and q.c. why "the likes of you" buy unreliable, poor handling, gas guzzling cars for the same price as a better japanese vehicle defeats all logic.
3. if your argument is that of xenophobic flag flying, you will doubtless be disappointed to learn how underinformed you are: gm are the largest "outsourcers" of component manufacture in the industry - keeping gm alive gives jobs primarily to chinese component manufacturers, not american ones.

jr92 wrote:

I have never read CR, literally never. My extreme dislike of American vehicles is based on life experience.
My experience with domestic vehicles has been far different than your own. Based on my experience, it would be completely illogical to buy something like the 2001 Impala that my neighbor owned which threw a rod at 37K miles and was in the shop for warranty issues almost as much as it was on the road before the self-destructing engine caused her to trade the car in.
As a replacement, she bought a Toyota that has performed very well for over 5 years now.
People did not just start hating domestic vehicles because it is trendy, there is a very logical reason for it. I would not own a GM if it were given to me, I would sell it immediately.
Never, ever again on any GM crap. The job losses are perfectly understandable, to be expected, in fact.
Same with Ford, I have owned two POS Fords and my parent's owned the worst lemon ever in the form of a Ford LTD.
That LTD had problems that seemed like a practical joke. It actually had a heater that would not turn off during the Texas summer, the horn button popped off, the taillight covers fell off at random, the list goes on and on. They owned it less than a year before admitting their mistake and switching to imports only from that point to today.
Never again, and I mean never. You can argue the equal quality of domestic vehicles forever, but it won't make people like me buy one.
I, OTOH, have caused a good number of people to step back and rethink their buying decision towards a reliable car when they start to glance at the inferior domestic car market.

I've bought "foreign" because "US" automakers simply didn't make the small,sporty performance coupes I prefer. Then there's the ergonomics,quality and resale value. I also note the large number and types of recalls the domestics have had.
I wish Honda would make the Prelude again. I also wish small cars weighed under 2800 lbs.;cars have gotten too heavy,making mileage worse. IMO,no "small" car should need a V-6 to propel it at a decent performance.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

That is what I like about my early Miata, it only weighs about 2200 pounds, maybe 2300 with the aftermarket parts, and I like roadsters.
That car moved pretty nicely with 116 hp out of a 1.6 liter, but it now has a 1.8 liter with a turbo that puts out about 200HP at the wheels. The boost/power can be dialed up anytime, but the current settings make for a nicely street-able vehicle. That is my toy car.
My 1995 Accord is also pretty lightweight compared to most sedans made today, iirc. I forget exactly what it comes in at.

all my Honda's were fun to drive. 1 Civic CVCC,2 Accord hatchbacks,2 Preludes,and the Integra.

my 94 Integra GS-R was 2600 lbs.,sadly,stolen in 07,stripped and torched. (F'ing thieves) My 03 Sentra Spec V is IIRC,3200 lbs.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I like Honda's a lot, I was very close to buying a 1994 GS-R when I was car shopping in 1998. It was a blast to drive and very comfortable too.

That sucks. I have still never had a car stolen, that would really piss me off.

You betcha! I lost a lot of auto tools I had in the back,too.Some were Xmas gifts from my partents.
It's too easy to steal Hondas from that era. I had rerouted the hood release cable to inside the engine compartment,made a shield for the hood latch itself,and had the parts ready to install a secret fuel cutoff switch,but hadn't got to it yet. that would have stopped them.... :-(
It took them less than 60 sec to steal it,despite the alarm I had installed.I still can't believe they got it started so fast;I threw my shorts on,grabbed my gun and was out the door in less than a minute,and the car was already thru the security gate and out of sight down the road. I could still hear the alarm wailing.
Police were F-ing USELESS. So were the security gates.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I need to do something like the fuel cut-off switch on my '91 Miata. The blue book value is only a couple of grand, but it would cost me many times that amount to duplicate it as it sits now.
Yeah, maybe get the parts for that today. Miatas are not a highly sought-after car for parts, but joy-riders are always a possibility, and the wheels and intercooler could attract attention from knowledgeable thieves.
I could stand to do the same to my '94 Accord, it is easy to steal as you said. Neither car has any anti-theft protection beyond the ignition switch, and I don't even lock the Miata, as a slashed top is more expensive to replace than anything inside the car.