protectionist b.s.

Page 3 of 7  


Plus you really feel violated once your car is gone.

Definitely!
I had a 12V relay,a magnetic reed switch and a magnet; I was going to wire the relay into the fuel pump power line,and hide the reed switch under a place where I could place the magnet to activate the fuel pump before starting the car. The hard part on my Integra would have been removing the hatchback's back seat to access the fuel pump and it's wiring.
you could hide the reed under the carpet somewhere,or under the door trim plate,or somewhere in the console,but you have to have a way to keep the magnet in place while you're driving,and not show evidence of it when you remove the magnet.I won't disclose what I had in mind,I may want to use it elsewhere.It was pretty sneaky. B-)
Of course,it's simpler to just use a toggle switch and find a good place to hide it. IMO,it's easier for the thief to find it though.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Yanik wrote:

I was thinking of a toggle switch, never thought of a magnetically activated one.
Would this be reliable? It sounds very difficult to defeat, and also pretty cool.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

magnetic reed switches are very reliable. But if the theives can find it quickly enough,they can bypass it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Yanik wrote:

But they would need to have a magnet and know where it was located. Sounds interesting. Time to research magnetic reed switches, I have never heard of them before this.
Thanks!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/09/2010 04:02 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

the switch may be reliable, but the magnet positioning would be problematic. you really don't need that thing shifting and killing fuel each time you hit a bump.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim beam wrote:

I would make sure that it was secured well, but I may just go with a toggle switch instead.
Thanks,
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/08/2010 05:12 AM, pws wrote:

couldn't have put it better myself.
i'd love to know what our fanboi has to say about less-obvious quality issues for things like cast vs forged cranks. cast cranks were pioneered by domestics to cut production costs [and increase gas consumption] while the rest of the world looked on and snickered. they still do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

This whole episode sounds like your neighbor's experience, not yours.
It took you exactly two paragraphs to discredit yourself.
Let your neighbor post about his experiences.
Now tell me, how many GM products HAVE you owned????
And if so, how recently??????

Well, actually it HAS been trendy to bash GM for many years, whether it be in Hollywood, or the media.
And once again, how many GM cars have you owned to give you such negative fellings?????
How close were you to your neighbor who abused his/her/it's 2001 Impala?
Actually, the Impala has been proven time and time and time again to be a pretty reliable car.

Once again, thanks to the likes of you.
Of course, in the end, you wind up hurting yourself, as well. whether you realize it or not.
In some manner all of us will eventually pay for the "my choice" mentality.

LTD.....Good choice to present in an argument about bad GM products.
How many years has it been since an LTD has been made????
I'll give you credit, though, at least you didn't mention a Corvair, Pinto, or Vega in your argument.
However:
If you compare the LTD's with cars made in IT'S era, instead of trying to compare it with a 2008 Honda Accord, your will find the LTD was a pretty good vehicle.

Not trying to sell you a vehicle.
Just pointing out that the one-sided argument that GM sells junk ain't so one sided anymore.

You sound like a car salesman.
I hope you are not, because if you are, you are LYING to your customers.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jr92 wrote:

I will admit, I have not owned 30 GM's like you. Owning more than one a year is not a good sign at all. How can you gauge reliability when you swap out your GM's that often? If you have driven, say 1,000,000 miles, that comes out to just 33,333 miles per GM, assuming that GM's are all that you ever drive. Not a lot of miles per car.
I do auto work for a lot of friends and family, and sometimes for money. I have also stripped out quite a few different foreign and domestic cars for parts resale.
The past 20 years of doing this has exposed me to all sorts of different vehicles, including a lot of Fords and GM's since, believe it or not, they tend to require a lot of repairs.
The domestic vehicles are consistently the worst ones. Work on enough cars and tear down enough of them, and the quality, or lack thereof, becomes obvious. It would take a true idiot not to see that the Japanese have just completely beaten us in the quality department.

How close I am to my neighbor is none of your business, and it is a she, not a he. We might be casual friends and I might be sleeping with her, that is completely irrelevant to the fact that the Impala that she owned was a complete piece of shit, contrary to your fantasy that it is a good car.

The likes of you supporting them no matter what they make is why the United States is still laughed at for producing shitty vehicles.
What would really hurt me is to keep repeating the same process of buying a piece of junk domestic car and hoping for a different result. That was Einstein's definition of insanity.

I am talking about domestics in general. When you speak of "cities being ruined economically", are you talking about just GM? I didn't think so.

If you are really going to say that the LTD that my parents owned was a good car for it's era, then you are completely out of touch with reality.
Not even the biggest Ford fanatic could possibly call that car a "pretty good vehicle". There were a lot of better cars out there during that era, they just weren't made by inept workers, which means that they were imported.

In this newsgroup, I have only seen you defending domestic vehicles, while several knowledgeable people are pointing out that they are junk.
Some even put it more nicely than that, but if they did not think that the cars were junk then they would buy them. You put way too much faith in the power of advertising.

Not a car salesman, just someone who is into cars and likes to help steer friends and family away from bad buying decisions. You claiming that the Impala and LTD were anything other than complete garbage, now that is a lie, as it is certainly not the truth.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Also, not a lot of problems per car, either.
The million mile mile is a best guess on my part, it could be a lot higher when I count my wife and kids driving.
Also, not all cars I have owned were daily drivers.
I really hate posting again and again again about the GM car's I've owned that I drove daily, 150 mile round trip, back and forth to my job, with very little problems.
Have had several cars go well over 200000 miles on them.
My kids, try as they might, could not wear out the Chevy Cavaliers I bought for them.
I have been blessed to be able to own, or get rid of cars that I didn't like, (at least most of my life)
But, I have NEVER, gotten rid of a single GM car I have ever owned, because it was unreliable or "junk"
They all served me well, but some I just didn't like for one reason or another.
And, I have been fortunate enough to have been able to own more than a couple of performance cars that I have not put a lot of miles on.

Hit a raw nerve, huh???
All I know, having never owned an Impala myself, is that GM has sold a few million of them over the past 4 or 5 decades.
They would not have sold that many if they were complete pieces of shit.
And I have a few "friends" (I don't care to let you know I have not slept with any of them) whom have owned them and they have performed wonderfully.
So, based and what I have seen with my own eyes, and what I know for facts, (Millions of them sold), you'll pardon me if I think the Impala is a pretty good car.
Still selling very well today, even in the tough economy we are facing today, wonder why???
And no recalls with sludging engines, sticking accelerators, or bad brakes.

Not really. The people being laughed at are those who still try to prove Toyota makes a better car than GM does, in light of any factually data than can be used to compare the cars, and ESPECIALLY in light of the millions and millions and millions of Toyota recalls lately.
If America is making shitty vehicles, then Japan must be making a whole sewage system.
Please don't tell me you believe in Global warming, as well.

Another definition of insanity would be to keep producing a piece of junk and telling people how good it is, expecting it to continue to sell.
And even more insanity would be that some people believe them.

And yet, Millions were sold of these products.
For the humpteenth time, I'll say it again,
If people buy a million of ANYTHING, it can't be junk!!!!
BTW, you never did tell me how your neighbor abused her Impala.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jr92 wrote:

Your logic is analogous to the facetious justification of all sorts of lemming behavior: "Eat shit, 50 trillion flies can't be wrong."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

McDonald's has sold, what, 5 Billion burgers? They MUST be the best on the market!
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And yet,they have sold more burgers than anyone else. That is an indisputable truth.
"Best" is subject to one's own interpertation, I guess.
Now if these burgers were rotten, bad tasting, or a piece of crap, or maggot infested, they wouldn't be selling by the billions. You gotta understand a simple fact. People don't buy junk.
And they don't buy what they don't want.
That is why McDonalds HAS sold all the burgers that they have.
And that is why GM still sells millions of cars and trucks every year.
And, GM and McDonald's DO have something in common.
They do not RECALL more of their products THAN THEY SELL, unlike a certain Japanese company that some are still trying to call "king of quality."
In trying to make fun of me, you merely justified my point.
Thank you.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jr92 wrote:

Next you will say that AOL is a good internet provider because millions of people subscribe to it.
Guess what, AOL does suck, just like McDonalds and GM.
I have not purchased more than a cup of coffee from McDonalds in over 20 years because their hamburgers are nasty garbage, and there are much better hamburger joints all over town. There are also much better cars available than what GM produces.
People who make smart choices tend to avoid AOL, GM and McDonalds. Yes, stupid like you do buy junk.
That is why businesses that produce shitty products and services, like McDonalds, AOL and GM continue to exist. Well, that and the bailout for Government Motors.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

designs that turned out inferior product. The unions didn't like it, but people voted with their pockets and now they're gone. We still make cars but under other names with their designs. Yes it was hard on the thousands that lost their jobs, but now they're more secure with world class designs owned by the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW, etc..
--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I guess, because you say so, it must be true. The millions who use the products you slam must be too stupid to use "better" products.

The millions of customers who purchase these products will disagree with you.
McDonalds has done just fine without you.
Selling burgers buy the BILLIONS, even without your endorsement.
Maybe there ARE better cars available than what GM produces.
It just ain't a Toyota!

For three whole paragraghs you have slammed products that are sold by the MILLIONS world-wide.
You call people who buy these products, "stupid."
I guess, it goes without saying, that you believe we don't now any better than to buy these products.
But YOU know better.
YOU know what is a better product for us "stupid' people to buy.
If that is the case, you MUST work for the federal government, as they always know what is "best' for people.

And once again, I'll say this"
If GM produces "shitty" vehicles.,
Toyota produces the cesspool!!!!!!!!!!!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
pws wrote:

Yep, thanks for the laugh!
<G>
JT
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There's something to that, too. Now that this is in the news, incidents will spike simply because now EVERYTHING will be blamed on stuck pedals until proven otherwise.

See here for more: <http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2010/02/03/terence-corcoran-the-war-on-toyota.aspx
--
Tegger


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2/4/10 10:29 PM, in article Xns9D15EF00234FAjyaniklocalnetcom@216.168.3.44, "Jim Yanik"

I don't think so. I suddenly was passing 2 or three on my way to work every day & they weren't just Fords. Toyota 4 runners, Nissan Pathfinders, you name it. It was suddenly, locally, just like the Simpsons episode (gentle sweeping curve and all the SUVs on the road fell over and exploded). I have little doubt what was going on.

This I do believe.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

here's a timely article today about auto electronic systems and the Toyota problems; Prius Problems Put Spotlight On Car Electronics http://newsmax.com/US/US-TEC-Toyota-Car/2010/02/04/id/349021
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.