protectionist b.s.

The difference is, if a driver losses control of his car, it is already on the GROUND LOL

> The author is a private pilot, and has raced motorcycles for>> many years. He has some knowledge of machinery.>

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The problem we have in this country is that we allow people that do not know how to drive, to teach others how to drive.

As the state with the highest number of bad drivers, Massachusetts w>> Tegger wrote:

Mike Hunter

Get real, there have been 19 people killed, and an untold number of people injured driving runaway Toyotas, in the US alone.

If I were driving a Toyota today, I would drive with my left foot poised over the brake pedal ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I remember a month or two after the overturning Ford Explorer fiasco hit the press there was suddenly an epidemic of SUVs of all makes and models flipping over on their sides at every intersection. Before all the publicity, I don't remember ever seeing an overturned SUV. Strange things happen when people start thinking they can cash in.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:xPWdna6j1_8ocPTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Except that four of the reported five deaths involved a highly-trained policeman.

Reply to
Tegger

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:4b6aef1a$0$22841$ snipped-for-privacy@news-radius.ptd.net:

You're aware that Ford accounts for 28% of SUA incidents?

What are they doing about that?

Reply to
Tegger

Who told you that, your Toyota dealer ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:4b6b4732$0$31477$ce5e7886 @news-radius.ptd.net:

The Wall Street Journal.

Now answer the question, smiley.

Reply to
Tegger

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C7906C39.17000% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

Let's look at some facts:

- 2,300,000 vehicles operated daily without incident.

- Two fatal incidents, five deaths (four of them in one incident).

- Twelve actual documented cases of stuck gas pedals.

- 0.00052% rate of incidence for stuck gas pedals.

- The NHTSA has currently 40 "defect" investigations going on. Three involve Toyota. 37 involve other automakers.

- Ford accounts for 28% of all SUA incidents, but not a peep is heard about that.

I'm reading the paper this afternoon, and it appears there may be just a tad more to this SUA issue than actual malfunctions...

As is well known by now, the Obama administration is very much beholden to trade unions. Obama even admitted in an interview during the election campaign that he owes a lot to the unions and would do whatever they wanted.

Well, Toyota just closed a large and unionized plant in California. It seems the UAW is now exercised about that. Plus they're looking for sales for GM and Chrysler, which are now partly union-owned and are losing market share.

What better way to get what they want than to nudge the Obamistas into slagging those successful little yellow (non-union) foreigners? You think LaHood is his own man here? Nope.

Reply to
Tegger

You're in the wrong country... We need you here!

Come on down to TX, get your concealed carry permit and have fun. First trip to the range will be on me...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yeah, but we all know that cops are not selected as the best and brightest.

OTOH, if they got smacked by the Toyota, nothin's poifect!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You expect us to believe you read the Journal? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It's the fault of the Unions? I thought it was the fault of President Bush ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

dude, at this stage it's mob hysteria. fact is, frod have defects that have killed thousands of americans. but rather than spend money on proper design and execution, they instead show up in d.c. with lobbyists and spend hundreds of millions of dollars making "contributions" to [which is MUCH cheaper b.t.w.] our representatives so they can stay off the political/legal radar screen.

toyota, naively, just make great cars under the false impression that they're selling into a meritocracy that plays fair. and they are so wrong. but toyota, inadvertently, are shining the harsh light of reality on the utter debasement of american values with this bullshit from politicians that are prepared to take the dollar and turn a blind eye to manslaughter rather than stand up for the lives and values of citizens that elected them. it's an utter disgrace.

Reply to
jim beam

well said.

Reply to
jim beam

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C7906C39.17000% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

OTOH,it might be just that the media began NOTICING the SUV rollovers,and reporting nationally on every one that happened,instead of just local reporting.

Kinda like reaching critical mass.... ;-)

Now,I've been reading that the Obama administration's -reaction- to the Toyota recall may be due to union influence,considering Toyota is NON-union and a "foreign" automaker. (although it's cars have more domestic content than many "American" vehicles,that may be made in Canada or Mexico.

On the Prius brake/cruise control problem,considering that car is a hybrid electric(with integral computer control of throttle/braking),I can see software bugs cropping up. Sometimes it takes a while to encounter a SW bug,particularly under unusual conditions. Like what happens if a ROM's data is corrupted;lose a byte here or there,in the wrong place,and you have a potentially hazardous condition waiting to be discovered.There's all sorts of reasons memory data could get corrupted,AFTER the car is shipped and sold. At least aircraft have redundant systems.

that's why I'm not so hot on drive-by-wire autos;SW glitches.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You mean, like the Japanese version of protectionism that, in 2008, exported over 2 million vechicles to the US, while at the same time, only allowing 12 thousand American nameplates to be imported there??????

Or the type of protectionism that Japan displayed when they had their own "cash for clunkers" program, but excluded the handful of American nameplates that WERE sold there from the program???????

Sounds fair to me, I guess, if I were from Japan.

Amazing statement.

For over three decades, the media has lamblasted American autos for everything from interior light bulbs burning out, to weather stripping dry-rotting after 10 years. They hammered away repeatedly at the "lack of American reliability until many, who did not check things out on their own, began to believe them.

Now, the worm is beginning to turn, and there are those who believed what the media said for thirty years, are accusing them of the same things they did against American nameplates.

Maybe turn-a-bout IS fair play!

Kinda funny how it took about 20 MILLION Toyota recalls over the past

3 or 4 years before it became politically motivated, or a "hysterical xeonphobia."

Hell , a good chunk of the MILLIONS of recalls happened well before it became "chic' to knock Toyota.

The sludging engines, or rusting supensions were known well before the US government began ownership in GM or Chysler, so there was nothing to be gained by the US pressuring Toyota into making recalls. There goes the 'conflict of interest" argument.

And BTW, if you believe Toyota has NOT been spending bundles of money lobbying Washington, then YOU are more naive than you claim Toyota is.

Really, you didn't make a single factual statement at all in this paragrah.

Matter of fact, just the opposite of what you stated is actually true.

Reply to
jr92

That does not mean that Toyota does not have problems with sticking accelerators.

Fact#1

Toyota is selling products in which sometimes, the accelerator sticks open, creating a safety hazard.

Fact:#2

There are some people who will try to take advantage of the situation for monetary gain.

Fact# 3

Fact number 2 does not mean Fact number 1 does not exist.

Reply to
jr92

Almost forgot about the 'staged' event that was made for the sole purpose of hurting GM truck sales.

Just another example of the extremes the media would go to in order to slam American nameplates.

However, sticking accelerators, sludging engines and rusting suspension parts on Toyotas made over the past 6 or 7 years are very REAL!

Reply to
jr92

well, i drove a prius extensively this past summer, and found it to be a smooth, finely engineered vehicle - no glitches, flaws, or mistakes in performance anywhere. responsive too. wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for driveability.

i also drove a chevy hhr, and if there is an example of "fly-by-wire" done wrong, the hhr is it - what a piece of crap. whoever decided a vehicle needs a 3-second delay on mid-throttle response needs a good kicking in the gonads.

Reply to
jim beam