CJ7 4cyl to 8cyl conversion questions

A few questions. Naturally, I wish this was a take out-drop in situation like old GM cars, but I realize that I will have a few things to consider before I go from my 4 cylinder to a chevy 350 into a 84 CJ7.

Right off, I want to know if there is a realitvly thorough guide for this coversion. If not, then you guys can tell me the things to look out for.

I don't know which tranny I have, but it is probably the most popular

4-speed at the time. The springs are origional and I will go to new 4" lift around the same time of the motor conversion. Nothing is really beefed up, so what should I consider in that respect for the power of a V8?

Motor mounts, clearances, any real cutting type modifications, bell housing mounting, etc.

I don't have to put a chevy V8 in, but I am more familar with those. I have heard that some GM V6's drop in??

What about kits? Can I find 90% of what I need to consider in conversion kits?

I haven't done anything but think about it at this point, so let me know some of your thoughts or experiances.

I also have a 76 CJ10 truck that is rusted out, but the motor and auto transmission and transfer case are all good. The motor is the AMC 354 V8... any advantages to considering this V8/tranny vs any others?

Thanks!

Reply to
gifer

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III