Novak has pulled their heads out-a little

"Diesels are neat. They power some amazing equipment. There is no doubt that diesels can offer great economy, but the question is, "What diesel engines are available for Jeep conversions that are:

*

common across the nation *

the right size *

the right weight *

have a broad enough operating range for a multi-use vehicle such as a Jeep *

affordable to buy *

compatible with transmissions that must also meet the above requirements"

Let's see:

Isuzu-several Nissan-SD25, SD33T Mercedes-OM617 Mitsubishi-several Perkins-still out there, low power-but FACTORY in CJs VW-maybe for a flatfender Peugeot-don't laugh, common in Bobcats! Cummins-OK if trans upgraded, heavy, loud Volvo-same as Cummins Detroit Diesel, Cat, Mack-NO!!! Iveco-possible

How many do you need?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

That's already been resolved (by a judge) and they've resumed work, and shipment.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Isuzu ? A new Isuzu 3 litre turbo diesel as fitted in the Isuzu Trooper has a dealer price around $17000. Yes, I wrote it correctly. Seventeen Thousand Bucks. Actually $17280.

Dave Milne

I bought a 4BB1 for $1300 with three hundred hours on it two years ago-attached to a large DC generator for CO telecom power. It's powering my Korean War era life boat now, and I got $200 for the generator end and $50 for the fuel tank. Deals on diesels are there if you look hard enough. I've seen a lot of diesel equipment go for the core value of the engine or less.

Same is true if you want a Mercruiser four ( a hell of a good engine for a flatfender Jeep.) Mercury Marine dealers will tell you you can't touch one for less than three thousand. I see whole boats with this engine go for a grand with trailer every winter. It's half a 460 Ford with a Chevy bolt pattern.

Reply to
RapidRonnie

I bought a couple of good running , 200K miles, Mercedes 300 Turbo-diesels, one only cost $200. If I hadn't already put a 360 in the project I would consider it.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man proclaimed:

I think I'd rather have the big Audi diesel that won LeMans...

Reply to
Lon

I'll bite for the Troll.

Just how many of the various stink pots will actually 'fit' in a Jeep, eh?

There is this slight issue with oil pan clearances and adapters. Despite your racist take on the companies that make adapters, they obviously are smart enough to know stupidity when they see it. Means they are still smarter than you Bret...

And who would want to 'always' have to bring up the end of the line forever when off road or even on a road trip because they stink out the 'real' Jeeps behind them too much with their belching of black smoke.

Until the oil companies clean up their Diesel, it will never be a welcome addition to any of the Jeep runs we go on, except to tag along at the end like I mentioned.

Here in Canada, it is impossible to even follow a city bus in traffic in an open top Jeep, let along have to gag along behind one on the trail.

And Yes Bret, this have been brought up every time you post this troll by not just me.

Now if you have the money to but one of these 'new' engines that supposedly don't smoke 'as bad', others have posted that they still get sent to the back of the line because of stench.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > "Diesels are neat. They power some amazing equipment. There is no
Reply to
Mike Romain

The oil companies already have in Europe. My dad's diesel doesn't stink, and it certainly doesn't belch smoke. The engines you describe disappeared 20 years ago here.

There are many advantages to diesels over petrols for offroading - better torque per litre (the isuzu actually puts out more bhp/litre as well than the I6), and as they have much higher compression at around 20:1 you get a lot better engine braking. Plus the ability to cope with water better.

Dave Milne

I must admit, I, too have considered some type of diesel swap into my latest '87 CJ project. I didn't consider the "stinkin' people out" side of it, but I don't wheel in large groups like that anyway.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I would love to run Diesel if it wasn't so bad smelling. I am a low rpm torque lover. No problems for a generator or even furnace, but Jeep, nope.... We get enough fumes if the wind is wrong with just a gas engine if running solo, let alone in groups. Our Canadian stuff is almost half sulfur I think. Apparently they would have to double the price or something like that to clean it up... ;-)

Mike

Spdloader wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

We have low sulfur road fuel in the U.S. now. I don't know how "low" it is. I rented a diesel Golf in Spain last year, and you can smell the difference between that and a gasoline car. I don't know what it would be like with a whole city full of them. They don't even have that in Europe. One night in the bus station in Burgos, I was talking to a fellow tourist from L.A. who was having difficulty breathing. I thought I was going to have to call the ambulancia, but he stuck his face down by the bus exhausts for a few minutes. "There, that's better", he said.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

California required ULSD on September 1, 2006.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

15ppm, down from 500ppm. Diesel in Europe is 50ppm and they're debating dropping to 10ppm, what they call "sulphur-free."

Well, yeah, different fuel, different exhaust smell. You can smell the difference between beef farts and bean farts, too.

I don't know what it would be like with a

Bean or beef? I'd prefer bean...less lingering power.

They don't even have that in Europe. One night in

When I visited Great Britain I was amazed how many diesel passenger cars there were. My friends in Germany have a diesel Mercedes crossover that will regulary do 140mph on the 'Bahn. We're visting next month and I am anticipating the ride!

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have been there. You can see the mountains, but when you are coming down into the valley from the mountains you can see that something is different down there, just like you can with Denver. I may have exaggerated a little bit. The tourist from L.A. only had to take a couple of breaths from the bus exhaust to clear his head.

;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Look on the net. About the only one that is a pain in the ass is the MBZ because of its front sump. It's also dirt cheap and about bulletproof. There are CJs with Isuzus, Mits, Nissans and Cumminses.

Most diesels are made so they can have the sump in the front or in the back and sometimes the middle because they are made for a variety of uses. MBZ insists on putting huge bag sumps on the front. They are the exception. Adapterwise they are not that difficult since every manner of car and light truck was sold somewhere with the more common diesel engines. I don't believe in adapting alien bellhousings to transmissions and prefer the scattershield approach.

Real Jeepers are independent and don't jeep in conga lines.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig