Tire pressure

2000 wrangler all terrain TA 33 10.50 15 tires

I check the tire pressure when the weather is warm and the tire pressure is where it should be. Then if the weather gets cold in the winter the tire pressures are higher. The question is should I set the tire pressures for each season.

thanks

Reply to
Dennis Croll

FrankW

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:57:46 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Dennis Croll" :

That sounds backwards; the tire pressure should be lower when the air is colder. That said, you should check the air pressure at least once/month and set it to whatever's recommended.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

The owners manual says to check them cold. No matter the time of year....

Mike

Mike Romain

If you are going season to season without ever having to put air in your tires, you are one lucky guy! ;) Air molecules expand in the heat and contract in the cold. You should notice more air leaking out in the cold than in the heat of summer. Always check your tire pressure when cold as that's what most tire manfacturers require. That way, the ambient air temperature will dictate how much air you put into the tire.

tw

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

Dennis,

Air pressure in a tire is directly proportional to temperature. In the absence of other forces, you will gain or lose about 1 psi for every 10 degrees (F) temperature change.

You should always check the tire pressure when the tire is 'cold' with cold meaning that it had been driven less than 1 mile or sat parked for more than

3 hours.

Generally speaking your tires will gain about 4-5 psi during normal suburban driving and more at highway speeds.

Everyone should own an accurate tire pressure gauge and you won't be likely to find one in the 99 cent bin at K-Mart.

If you haven't a compressor or bicycle pump you can stop by the gasoline station or tire dealership and add your preferred tire pressure PLUS 5 psi and before you go to bed tonight you can bleed the pressure down to the exact pressure you want. If PLUS 5 psi doesn't make it when the tire is cold add a bit more the next day until you get your required pressure after a bleed down.

You will find that tire pressure variance and loss is less if you have 100% Nitrogen in your tires instead of just air and yes, I am aware that air is

80% Nitrogen.

As you are using oversized tires the pressure you need is probably less than shown on the door placard. Other users here can probably give you approximate pressures and there is an easy way to double check in your driveway. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the procedure and the best was to appropriate the supplies from your sproutlettes.....

Pressure also varies with altitude so you don't want to be filling the tires in the valley and bleeding them off at home in your mountaintop cabin..

Reply to
billy ray

In a Real Jeep, the tires need to be filled for each day ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Only if you are getting that metric air, it doesn't quite fit correctly in American tires.

Reply to
billy ray

No... I think what Jeff is saying is that the 35's on my CJ (AKA "Real Jeep") won't hold air for more than a day or 2 because of mud in the bead or the sidewall rock damage.

Reply to
JimG

good one.

Reply to
Dennis Croll

You don't have to set the tire pressure for each season, but you DO have to use the right air, summer air in the summer, fall air in the fall, winter air in the winter, and spring air in the spring.

Using the correct seasons air helps your tire pressure stay stable with that seasons weather conditions.

Of course as Billy Ray pointed out, you also must use American air in a Jeep, not that funky Metric air.

Jeff DeWitt

Dennis Croll wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

And up here at 7000' Above Sea Level we have to use Mountain Air. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I've heard of that. Tastes great, less filling. :)

Reply to
DougW

Yes but mountain air contains less pressure than regular air and the lack of heavy metals makes it particularly unsuitable for American cars..

Reply to
billy ray

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:38:59 -0500, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "DougW" :

And in Ireland, be sure to use Londonderry Air.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

No, that's Lite air. Mountain air is non-union ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And "cold does not mean cold daytime temperatures. "Cold" means not having been driven for at least a few hours. For example: you could check your tires when "cold" on a 95 degree Florida day.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I was a little surprised by that effect. Aired up to 28psi after a day's wheelin', temps in the high eighties. Drove home (same elevation) and the next morning (60s) they were all @ 23psi.

Reply to
Mark

Yeah, but I always wondered about places like the high desert where daytime can be 100 and nights can be 60. It would seem that the differential between these extremes could cause a tire that was inflated to proper pressure at 5 AM to be seriously overinflated by 4 PM.

Any thoughts?

DAve

mabar wrote:

Reply to
DaveW

Lookup Boyle's Law... Just remember though that the temperature is referenced in degrees Kelvin, not Celsius or Fahrenheit... 100F = 38C =

311K... 60F = 16C = 289K... Thus you will have a (311-289)/289 percent difference (i.e. 7.6%)... If your pressure is at 30psi at 60F, it will be at 32.3psi at 100F... Of course, in this example, I'm assuming that volume remains constant, but since we're talking about a rubber tire, that's not exactly true, but it would only add a small change to the result and it would be a reduction in the percentage anyway...

Yeah, I know that Boyle's Law refers to *ideal* gases and that air is not one, but it's close enough for what we're talking about here...

Reply to
Grumman-581