XJ Pinion Seal Leak

Well I finally installed an SYE and Tom Woods Driveshaft to fix my bent rear outputshaft and all went well. Let me take this opportunity to put in a plug for Tom Woods! He was great! The first driveshaft sent was to long, either due to my stupidity or misbuilding (probably my stupidity!) , either way he sent out a second one that fit at no charge to me, all I have to do is send back the long one! Any, driving with the vibes from that bent output shaft appearently cuased my pinion seal in my rear diff to die... it seemed to be a fairly minor leak driving around town, but on a recent highway trip I was surprised to see how much fluid got flung EVERYWHERE underneath. I have been checking the fluid level regularly and have not seen any significant decrease. I called ProGear and was quoted $90 to have it done, $60 of it being labor. So my quistion is, can a reasonably intelligent person with minimal mechanical experience (IE smart enought to pull the tcase apart to change the output shaft succsuffuly, but have never changed tranny fluid) manage to change this themselves? I understand the tricky part is ensuring you get the torque correct when putting back together? I have the Chrysler Shop Manual, which is a godsend to someone who is learning auto mechanics as they go! What are the chances something else is wrong that I may not be able to deal with? Thanks,

Alon :)

Reply to
Alon :)

If vibrations got your pinion seal then there is a chance those same vibrations got your pinion bearings too. Of course, it is also possible that the pinion seal gave up the ghost on its own, or that the bearings loosened up a bit without permanent damage. It is impossible to tell any of this for sure without actually looking at the thing. You can probably do this yourself if you have all the tools mentioned in the manual and are willing to follow directions to the letter. No short cuts!

Story time. In 1985 I was travelling cross country with everything I owned in a 1967 Dodge A100 van and a trailer made out of a cut-in-half Chevy pickup. About the middle of Ohio the rear axle started making a noise. I pulled into the truck stop and found that the pinion nut had started to loosen, with the pinion and drive shaft flopping around considerably. After digging out the torque wrench and the real big sockets, I cleaned up the pinion threads, torqued down the nut with some super glue, and drove that van for another eight years.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Limited mechanicing experience also translates to minimal tools for me... so if I need much in the way of special tools to do this it is probably just as cost effective to have a shop do it??

Reply to
Alon :)

Yep. Look in your manual and you will see that there are lots of tools involved. Torque wrench, dial indicator, yoke puller. Bet you don't have a yoke puller...

Took another van to a "Five Star" Dodge dealer to get the axle housing replaced under warranty. Mechanic figured he was smarter than the manual and used a bmfh instead of a puller on the pinion yoke. They wound up buying me a ring and pinion and all the bearings too. Know who you're dealing with.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton