Defender 90 2.5TD drinks oil

Hi!

Our Defender 90TD (19j-engine) started drinking oil like a sailor! The stuff is here cheaper than Diesel fuel, but I think it is not a good habit to drink 1l of oil every 200km :(

What we already know: Somehow oil finds its way into the air intake filter - it is soaked with oil. What already has been done: The valve stem seals (or however those small plastic parts are called in English) have been changed, with no big success. The valve cover sealing has been exchanged and still lets some oil get out, but only some drops, not very much. The dip stick seal has been changed, too, because some oil found its way out there. When accelerating there is some smoke. There is no coolant loss, and no oil in the cooling system. The engine runs so far fine (some power loss due to the oily filter), it starts just fine, even when it is cold outside. The turbo charger seems not to spill oil, and at least in idle there is no especially high pressure when I removed the oil refill cap and put my hand there.

Any ideas what to look for to stop this? Any hint is highly appreciated!

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

The symptoms you describe are the hallmarks of a worn out engine, which is breathing heavily because it is shot. Sounds like the boars and pistons are worn, allowing combustion gasses to pass by the rings and presurise the crank case, which if it was blowing out the dipstick tube before you replaced the seal indicates just how bad it is. While you say that you suspect the power is down due to oily filter, is it probably indicative of a shot engine, but you can check this by driving without a filter and see if the smoke and power improves. I take it the smoke has a blue coulor to it, if so then besides a reboar or replacement there is no quick / cheap fix. If it were my engine I would pull the head off and inspect the boars, to confirm the state before comitting to a potentially expensive repair, and also consider that if the boars are worn, then the crank and bearings will also prolly need attention, along with the injection eqpt. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Dad

I'll quote from an article i saw at

2495cc turbodiesel, overhead valve, type 19J: Given the strength and reliability of the 2.5 diesel, you can understand why Land Rover thought it would cope with turbocharging, but the result was a warranty nightmare. 2.5TDs can fail in any number of ways, but the most common seems to be internal cracks developing in the cylinder block. This gives the same symptoms as a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head, but is not repairable. Due to a defective design of crankcase breather, these engines also tend to dump large amounts of engine oil into the air filter housing, which turns the paper air filter into a soggy black lump. This in turn leads to oil being drawn into the air intake, causing the engine to 'run away' and self-destruct.

that is a little worrying don't you think? time to modify the breather I reckon and be certain you don't overfill the sump

Derek

Reply to
Derek

What kind of modification do you recommend?

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Vent it to the air not the filter, that is to say, pull the crankcase breather tube off the ait filter houseing and fix it down wards, maybe with an extension tube, so the oil drains to the ground, away from the hot exhaust, brakes etc.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

OK, so we will take the hose off the air inlet hose (and close the air inlet hose at this place) and put some bottle at the end of the crankcase breather tube, to find out how much oil collects there.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Exactly

Reply to
EMB

I vented mine into the chassis helps keep the tin worms at bay

Icky

Reply to
icky