OT - Call Centres......Arrrggggg!

On or around Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:02:30 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

well, not all the time, no.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What is the wording they use? On my last reminder card it had "you need a license to install or use any equipment to receive or record television programme services" then lists things like TVs, videos, PCs with receiver cards etc. This does not say that you need a license to

*own* such devices however, a common misconception. You only need a license to actually use them to receive TV signals.

Write to them to tell them that you have no aerial connections and any display gear you have cannot receive off-air TV signals in any way, e.g. satellite etc. I did this in January of this year and have not heard a peep since other than them sending me a letter in February saying "thanks for letting us know, we might send a chap round to check sometime" or words to that effect.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I love the threatening letter detailing the awesome penalties for not paying promptly that comes in with the freebie licence we get because me ol' mum is 80.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

"capable of recieving........" - it specifcally states the having the capability, even if not used, is sufficient. Mind you, we havn't had one for a while so perhaps they've had a reality check.

I ignore them - if they think I have time to watch TV while at work then they need to get out more!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes, however capability to receive requires that it has some kind of feed, a TV with no aerial is not capable of receiving off-air TV pictures. I agree that it's relatively easy to miss that, and I doubt that it's entirely an accident, but the situation is that if it can receive TV signals then it needs a license but a device that could receive signals if it was connected up is not *currently capable* of receiving them.

BTW this isn't just me being picky, that's the actual position, if it's not connected up, it's not capable and doesn't need a license.

Indeed, or at home even! I don't miss it at all.

Mind you I don't seem to get much more done than I used to :-(

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's the usual "fines up to £xxxxx" stuff you get with just about every legal threat, they tend not to mention that the maximum fine is only levied in bonkers extreme cases...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Since most regulations are based on personal experience then one can easily figure what they are doing all day.

Reply to
GbH

A friend of mine, down Bristol way, has never had a TV. When they started that advert campaign, a few years ago, which said things like, "There are 27 houses on Wood Lane; 3 of them don't have TV licences," she was a trifle annoyed.

Personally, I think they were lucky they didn't pick the street she lived on, or she would have been "nuke the site from orbit" annoyed.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I think a lot of people have them!. Ive got a friend (from here) who after spending a couple of years travelling and being at uni in various places ended up with a southern UK/Aussie/US hybrid accent which we took the piss out of. After being back home for a few months it has settled down and is almost back to normal.

Reply to
Tom Woods

They weren't talking about UV, oh no, were explicitly saying that the radiation from bomb fallout and leaks from nuclear power stations was good for you in small doses, and not really at all bad for you in larger doses!.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Unfortunately they carefully skirted around the fact that the 'evidence' from Chernobyl was the official government figures, and of course figures produced by the Russian government in a matter which makes them look extremely bad in the eyes of the world are entirely reliable aren't they

8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

|| Greg wrote: ||| CraigB wrote: ||| |||| Something really scary ...the US and Canada think that NZ is part |||| of Australia. |||| Their adverts over here for "Aussie" products and their "Aussie" |||| actors all speak with a Kiwi accent. ||| ||| ||| Something more scary, Americans know so little about the world ||| outside their borders they have to tak the country onto every ||| capital city "the british prime minister in London-England said..." || || Ah, but that's so they don't confuse it with London-Nevada, || London-Massachusetts or London-Oregon. (I have no idea if there are || Londons in those states, but they do tend to lift names from || everywhere...) || || I particularly enjoyed, on a trip to the States, travelling through || Moscow, Maine, population 620...

That'll be Moscow as in "moss-cow".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hehe... giggle... aren't you glad wise people like that are on TV talking about science rather than actually doing science?

Reply to
Torak

Ah, you know it then? :-p

Actually, I suppose, it's more like "Ma's Cow"...

Reply to
Torak

I would be if I'd seen any attempt to ridicule them, but sadly I haven't, they seem to have the media well under control these days.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Probably because 80% of the viewing public get their general knowledge from them. I mean, they voted for Bliar twice...

Reply to
Torak

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| Torak wrote: ||| ||||| Greg wrote: |||||| CraigB wrote: |||||| ||||||| Something really scary ...the US and Canada think that NZ is ||||||| part of Australia. ||||||| Their adverts over here for "Aussie" products and their "Aussie" ||||||| actors all speak with a Kiwi accent. |||||| |||||| |||||| Something more scary, Americans know so little about the world |||||| outside their borders they have to tak the country onto every |||||| capital city "the british prime minister in London-England |||||| said..." ||||| ||||| Ah, but that's so they don't confuse it with London-Nevada, ||||| London-Massachusetts or London-Oregon. (I have no idea if there ||||| are Londons in those states, but they do tend to lift names from ||||| everywhere...) ||||| ||||| I particularly enjoyed, on a trip to the States, travelling ||||| through Moscow, Maine, population 620... ||| ||| That'll be Moscow as in "moss-cow". || || Ah, you know it then? :-p || || Actually, I suppose, it's more like "Ma's Cow"...

Yup, that's the one.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Is this hemi, demi bee Half asleep upon my knee Some freak from a menagerie? No! It's Eric the Half A Bee!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

it's been many years since I was last called babe :)

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

On or around Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:23:52 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

when is that again?

Reply to
Austin Shackles