something I know which I didn't know yesterday

If, when you press the brake pedal or select reverse, your disco II illuminates the diff lock light and goes "bing bing bing", this means that it's blown fuse #25, which appears to supply both brake and reversing lights.

In other news, it's taken to going down on the left-hand side when parked for more than an hour or so. I suspect an air leak. Goes up again fine when started (provided all the doors are shut properly).

There's no audible leak, although it takes long enough to go down that it wouldn't really be aduible. Is there any known leak-point, or is it a variable thing?

I left it in high mode when I parked it this evening, will see if it still goes down from there. I'll also pressure-wash it tomorrow and then see if I can trace any leaks with soapy water or something. The height sesnor on that side seems to work, it's connected and not siezed, anyway.

'course, it could be a leaky airbag.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

.... or a leak in the plumbing. Nylon pipe rubbing thro'.....

Reply to
Dougal

98% of our Disco II airbag faults are the airbags themselves. Give them a spray with soapy water and you'll find the leak... usually where the bag curls at the bottom. The solenoid system on these are quite robust and rarely give trouble, unlike the P38 valving system.

:-) Craig.

Reply to
Craig

On or around Mon, 25 May 2009 09:58:23 GMT, Craig enlightened us thusly:

now the odd bit. It's stood since yesterday evening in high mode, went out about 10:30 this morning and it's not gone down at all.

so it's only going down when at standard height. Which seems to eliminate a leaky airbag from the equation, I'm guessign some kind of height-sensor issue. I'll give it a good pressure-washing, see if that helps.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Could be the leak is only exposed at low height. Simple fix.. just park it in high mode all the time. Simples!

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Beat me to it. B-) or that the (tiny) crack is in a roll of the bag and is forced shut in high mode and opened a bit in low rather than being a hole that is covered.

Bear in mind the compressor isn't, apparently, rated particulary well. This does sound like a fairly low level leak that won't keep the compressor running much longer than normal. Except if it has to keep pumping up one side...

I'd have give the lot a good wash down, then apply some soapy water to look for a leak. When a height sensor went caput on my old DII it just sat right down on both sides and refused to do anything else.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The drooping rear end is exactly what mine was doing. I spent ages trying to find the leak and almost gave up. One night i had the car jacked up doing the brakes and noticed that the gap under the wheel arch was getting smaller and smaller. Closer inspection revealed the drivers side airbag to be leaking where the rubber rolls back on itself, as has already been said. Took us about an hour to change.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

On or around Mon, 25 May 2009 14:59:38 -0700 (PDT), Dom J enlightened us thusly:

yeah, after washing it I had it sitting in the yard and when it was quiet I could hear a small hissing from the area of the portside air spring.

I guess a replacement is in order.

Reply to
Austin Shackles