stopping mice in vehicles

Well some of the nuts and bolts are certainly made out of cheese..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

There may be two different acts then, AFAIK (and I haven't re checked this) the countryside and wildlife act only specifies Sciurus carolensis and glis glis (grey squirrel and edible dormouse), otherwise what would happen when the conservation people trap rodents as part of a population study?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Move to a less pikey area.

Reply to
Nige

Having read just the subject line I thought this may be one I could answer... then I got to thinking.. they would never reach the pedals.... and how would they see the Police car in the mirror behind?

Normal advice is to find somewhere safe before giving them a tug... then watch yer ass as you get out of the car.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Pretty sure it's in the Wildlife and Countryside Act somewhere... I've looked at in the past.

Depends if said rodent can also be classed as "vermin". Such people would also have a licence for the work which would no doubt allow for the release. Just like the RSPCA have a licence allowing them to release grey squirrels.

The question of what the term "vermin" means has been asked in the house of lords:

8 Oct 2003 : Column WA60 Vermin

Lord Selsdon asked Her Majesty's Government:

Which mammals and other animals are classified as "vermin".[HL4559]

Lord Whitty: There is no definition of the term "vermin" in UK law. In such a situation the Oxford Dictionary definition should be applied.

The Oxford Dictionary defines "vermin" as "Animals of a noxious or objectionable kind. Originally applied to reptiles, stealthy, or slinky animals, and various wild beasts; now, excluding in US and Australia, almost entirely restricted to those animals or birds which prey upon preserved game . . ."

The Small Ground Vermin Traps Order 1958 and the various Spring Traps Approval Orders, refer to "small ground vermin". Neither the orders nor the Pests Act 1954, under which they are made, define this term or provide an exclusive list of species. However, the following animals are listed under various orders: moles, grey squirrels, rabbits, mink, stoats, weasels, rabbits, rats, and mice.

Traps approved under the Spring Traps Approval Order 1995 do not apply to small ground vermin listed in Schedules 5 and 6 to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. This means that red squirrels, dormice, water voles, shrews, hedgehogs, polecats and a number of other species are excluded.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll try and find an url for them.

BTW my mate Danny got my 101 up and running and through the MOT yesterday, now I have to decide what to do with it.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

doesn't the no of mice decrease as pikeyness increases? ;) (being that posher houses round here are more in the countryside than the cheaper ones)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'll look for some of them! ta!

Reply to
Tom Woods

some laws i'm quite happy to ignore!

Reply to
Tom Woods

In the 101:

carrier bag with an apple and some chocolate bars in - they chewed up the bag but left the contents!

They also have chewed the lids off the water bottles and oil cans (leaving the bottle and contents), and chomped on some of the plastic bits of my mains socket!

It seems to be one sort of consistancy of plastic (the bottle top kind)

All bin bags in the back of all my vehicles were decimated! (I had a box of 50 in the back of the LR!)

not found any chewed wires yet. Too soft for them i think.

Reply to
Tom Woods

go drive it ;) (some of us havent had time to get ours MOT'd :( )

Reply to
Tom Woods

It's relative to the cost of inflation though, the mice can no longer afford to live in the sticks. ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just leaves the voles, shrews, and rabbits, at least that is all the cat brings in for a light snack.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:06:06 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

no use to you, but I read the subject line and thought "bloody hell, must be an affluent area if the *mice* have cars"

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK this is the one I got

I very much doubt I'll use it much so when Danny has driven it a while it will be available for sale, unless someone's got a cheap lpg conversion for sale?

AJH

Reply to
AJH