Tensioner pully alternator belt.

Hi

Well it looks like something else has broken :( today whilst i was reassembling my brothers engine in his picasso (cam belt broke) i left the disco (300tdi 97) ticking over to put some charge into his battery via some jump leads, suddenly the pully on the tensioner started whining / screaming quite loudly, a quick spray with wd40 stopped it but it started againg whilst i was coming home up the motorway.

is this something to worry about or do you think it will last a while? is it a known weak spot like the alternator bearings? will some proper oil sort it out or do i need to get a new one?

thanks

Chris..

Reply to
Chris..

New one, whilst yer at it, new water pump too.

Reply to
Nige

That was the clue I had to my water pump bearing seizing. Should have listened to it really ... would have saved the late night flat-bed taxi ride :-(

Reply to
SteveG

ok will do

are the water pumps weak too?

Reply to
Chris..

Not really but they are so cheap you might as well.

Reply to
Oily

Mine went & leaked all the water out towing. Not good. Cheap as chips & get new bolts & a new gasket.

Reply to
Nige

Aye, same here, but mine was with a caravan on the back too.

Reply to
Nige

Ooh .. Ouch! At least mine had the decency to give out and come to a stop outside a pub :-)

Only time I've ever complained about the AA turning up too quickly :-)

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:53:56 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

the bearings in the tensioner pulley are an easy swap, provided the thing's otherwise in good nick. However, if it seems floppy it'd be better to replace the whole unit.

You'll want a good 15mm socket.

Reply to
Austin Shackles