Adhesive marks on headlights

I have just bought a Mondeo Mk3. It looks like the previous owner has used headlight beam deflectors whilst driving abroad and they have left some of the adhesive behind on the headlights when removed. The headlights appear to be some kind of plastic not glass. Has anyone else seen this problem and any ideas how to remove it. I have tried Car Polish, Meths, and Acetone so far but nothing seems to touch it. I am a bit concerned that anything stronger may start to melt the plastic headlights.

Reply to
Paul

WD40? - Not Sure what the solvent is but it shifts somethings that meths and nail polish/varnish (woman stuff) won't get off.

Hairdryer and a sharp scraper?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Go to your local Tesco/Safeway/Morrisons/Asda and buy a pack of Flash Citrus Blast wipes.

My missus uses Citrus wipes at work to remove glue when she's taken old vinyl off stuff and I used those Flash ones last weekend to remove the glue from a graphic that'd been on my Capri rear window for the thick end of 20 years. Only took one and the graphic was 4ftx1.5ft.One side of them has a rough surface for scrubbing.

Do it just after midday as well. The heat will help to soften the adhesive.

Reply to
Conor

Citrus wipes shift old glue in no time.

Reply to
Conor

I can tell you what NOT to use - carb cleaner :-)

BTW, Focus headlights are 100UKP each.......

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I usually find ISO-propyl alcohol shifts that sort of crap. Then again, you said meths didn't work so it's a long shot.

Wonder if T-Cut might persuade it to shift (caution - untested, try on an unimportant area of the plastic first to make sure it doesn't knacker the plastic finish).

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

t cut will knacker the plastic

Reply to
Steve Robinson

Hi Paul,

Firstly, excellent choice of car!! Did you go for a TDCi... and what spec?

I'm still very excited about my recently bought 2.2TDCi Ghia X.

Secondly to answer your question: WD40. Being a light oil, it will NOT damage your plastic headlights - unlike solvents (Acetone is dodgy - I'm surprised that you got away with trying that).

However the oil will melt the glue in no time at all, spray on, wipe mess off with cloth a few minutes later. Rinse and wash with water, finish with window cleaner (the green stuff) if you want nice shiny headlights.

HTH

Reply to
Alan Dempster

I drove a TDCI Zetec a couple of weeks ago.

It was s**te.

No feel in the throttle or clutch pedals, gearbox like stirring porridge, torque steer everywhere, tacky interior, and not as big on the inside as you'd expect.

Worst thing is that my co. car list only allowed a TDCI LX against a Passat 2.0 TDI SE.

OK, the B6 Passat isn't quite as well built as a Mondeo, but it walks all over it in every way.

Reply to
SteveH

Grrrr!

Got that completely wrong.

'The B6 Passat isn't as well built as the B5.5, but it walks all over the Mondeo in every way'

Reply to
SteveH

Thanks Tom,

Tried WD40 and didn't touch it either.

In desperation I tried the hairdryer and scraper and it worked ! Left a slight residue which came off with car polish, scraper caused a couple of very small scratches but they are hardly noticable. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Shame...those Flash Citrus Wipes would have had it off in no time.

Reply to
Conor