Car selling - ebay?

I've decided to get rid of my old car. Skoda Octavia estate 1999, 132k, good condition throughout, the lacquer top coat peeling off the bonnet is the only cosmetic blemish.

Anyway, tax and test are both due soon. So that'll be £175 to get them done. Scrap value is £150, and they come and take it away, with no input from me (I'm all for an easy life!) Presumably it would be better to sell with 6mths tax and 1yr MOT

To make it worthwhile to sell, it's got to go for £500+.

Where to sell it - ebay? Start with 99p, or start at £500? I want it gone rather than sitting here for another month. Any thoughts? Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Diesel? Petrol?

MOT yes, tax - I wouldn't bother.

That really shouldn't be an issue!

99p. No reserve. It'll set it's own value.

Local paper? Supermarket/newsagent?

Something like that should sell easily.

Reply to
Adrian

As long as you are sure it will pass, MOT it, then advertise it locally for a couple of weeks. If no interest, you still have the eBay option.

If you are really in a rush to get rid of it, MOT it, advertise it locally and put it on eBay at the same time with the stated condition that you reserve the right to withdraw it if sold elsewhere.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Sunday 26 January 2014 07:19 A.Lee wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

Autotrader. It's still the first place a lot of people look for a car.

I would also use that as a price guide - a quick look suggests theer are

not for much more.

Add "ono" if you're prepared to haggle.

There's also Parkers for price estimating, but

IME the best way to get a quick sale is price realistically, clean and hoover it, wax with some Colour Magic (corny old trick, but it works!) and take some *decent* pictures inside and out in good light.

If your dash is faded, quick wipe with a bit of Armorall.

I did that with a not particularly special Daewoo Lanos and had it sold in a few days - about 8-10 phone calls IIRC, sold to one of the first 3.

Reply to
Tim Watts

A guy on a main road used to sell many cars, he put a price in the screen, if it did not go in a couple of days the price went down a little, and went down day by day till it found a buyer, nothing stayed for more than about a week. I nearly bought an AMC Pacer from him, I was waiting for it to go down just another few quid, but someone else got it, probably good for me in the long term !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

snip

Absolutely! Not sure why you were even considering it, unless the only other option was a Gremlin, or maybe a Ford Pinto.

Reply to
Davey

A new MOT (or lots remaining) is always a good selling point. One where the MOT is about to run out or has suggests it's being sold because it won't pass another economically. And will easily recover the cost of one in the selling price. Tax doesn't much matter as everyone knows what that costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just like quirky cars, and that was! If I had the facilities I would be building a Dymaxion.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On Sunday 26 January 2014 10:59 Mrcheerful wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

That reminds me - never underestimate the value of a couple of signs in the car saying For Sale and a price and mobile number. I sold a complete rustbucket Maxi (at a rustbucket price) like that once.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Strong understatement.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Tim Watts writes

Austin Maxi and mobile phone????

Are you sure it wasn't a DeLorean ;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin
[...]

Well, he did say the Maxi was a rustbucket - the mobile phone must have been a brick!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not 'estimating', as such, but pissing a random figure into the wind.

Reply to
SteveH

Only a fool goes near ebay

Reply to
Just Another Person

There does seem to be something strange about buying/selling a car on Ebay that simply doesn't apply to most other things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did well with the Lexus I bought on ebay, pretty near perfect, no existing problems when delivered and has been excellent for the last 9 years.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On Sunday 26 January 2014 13:13 Paul Giverin wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

Then and now ;-)

Back then (1990) it was of course not a mobile number. But it possibly would be now...

Yes - there was a reason Dr. Emmett Brown did not use a Maxi. The hydrospastic suspendion would have gone flat at an inconvenient moment.

At least mine had the rod gear change!

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 26 January 2014 14:10 SteveH wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

And they seem to charge now - last time I thought the web lookups were free.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 26 January 2014 15:39 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

The main reason I would start with Autotrader as a buyer is

a) it's the defacto place to look in many people's minds;

b) selling nothing but vehicles and the search options are excellent. Unlike ebay. In fact the complete opposite to ebay. Autotrader is not going to try to sell you a Haynes Manual, an air filter or a model Octavia ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

we were using mobile phones in the later 80s, many of my friends had them, I got my first one in 1991.

Reply to
Mrcheerful