Corsa 'EPS' warning

My GF has a year 2000 Vauxhall Corsa. Out driving yesterday she said it started to "behave strangely, as if it was about to cut out", and 'EPS' flashed up on the dash display. She couldn't really describe exactly how the car was behaving during that time, but said it felt very odd. When the car was started up later, it behaved normally again and has been OK since, but she's worried that it might do the same thing again. Having had three unrelated breakdowns with it so far this year she's losing faith in the car!

What I've read on t'internet so far says that EPS is the Electr[on]ic Power Steering, but she said the steering seemed to behave normally at the time of the fault. It sounded to me as if the engine management unit had suffered a fault and gone into a "get you home" mode.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with a Corsa?

Reply to
A.Clews

I have a combo van, based around a Corsa and had a similar fault a few Months (6+) ago, nothing since and everything has behaved as normal since. Brain Fart for the ECU or some such?

I had a similar thing with the spanner light flashing up, but that turned out to be crank sensor.

HTH

TOm

Reply to
Kipling

Was it wet at the time? If the alternator belt slips (as it can when wet) it will detect the loss of charge which will effect the steering in a short while if it continues and will therefore show the eps light. Let it develop/wait till it does it more often before investigating.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thus spake Mrcheerful ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

It's almost permanently wet in most of the UK at the moment... :-)

Interesting thought. Thanks for that. Will pass on the suggestion.

Reply to
A.Clews

if the car had just gone through a deep puddle for instance was the sort of thing in particular I was thinking of.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thus spake Mrcheerful ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

She didn't actually say so, but there have nevertheless been a lot of deep puddles around our way the last few days, and we've all got so used to them we perhaps forget to mention them :-)

Reply to
A.Clews