ford escort td

hi my escort td has trouble starting in the morning we have fitted new glow plugs new diesel pump return pipes etc we have to glow it four/ five times and it might start someone has told me that the tappets are prone to problems we also hae a small amount of oil coming out of one of the holes on the turbo unit what might this be can you help thanks andy

Reply to
andy

A guide on how to punctuate would be a start.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Have you checked that the glow plugs receive power? Connect a headlamp up to the supply to the glow plugs, if that lights up then you know the supply is ok. Even new glow plugs can be faulty or damaged on install, it is worth taking them out and powering them with 12 volt, if the glow bright red after a second or two then they are fine. Any diesel engine will start without glow plugs at all if you turn it over enough times.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Did you put some cheap pattern glow plugs in perchance? I have seen these cause problems. Like the others say though, check for 12v getting to each glow plug, I'd use a proper volt meter though (rather than a headlight), as you might see any problems with wiring if the voltage is low. These also uffer with the relay failing, check for 12v at the large connectors on the relay - one will be permanent 12v, one will be 12v as the relay operates - you should hear it clicking.

Never known tappets cause this problem to be honest, unless the engine has been repaired.

The oil leak from the turbo is fairly normal, these all leak a little oil from there. Unless the turbo is noisy, or the engine is under powered, or it's really pissing out, then forget it.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

The message from snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Andy Hewitt) contains these words:

Sometimes in as little as two weeks!