Horn

Our horn isn't working and the car is in for MOT next week so it will need fixing.

I guess it is as simple as getting a new noise making bit, bolting it in place and attaching the wires, is this correct? I also imagine this could be taken from any car so I will be making a trip to my local scrapper.

I don't use the horn often and the original made a pitiful noise. When I do use it however, I want people to know that I mean it so i'm after recommendations for a car I can pull a horn from that makes a good loud noise.

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
R D S

Only once you verified that the juice is actually making it to the horn

- have you checked the fuses and verified that you're actually getting

12V at the horn connections?

Depends on how often you want to go back to said scrappy until you find one that's working, I'd guess. But in principle, yes.

Get an airhorn then.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Dont bother with scrappies, they want £5 for an horn, when they are availble new for £10ish. As well as the hassle of dealing with the gorilla at the office, and doing hopscotch over the dog shit. The ones I have fitted have a live lead going to them, and another straight to earth. Newer cars may be slightly different, but I cannot see there being more than 2 block connectors to replace/bodge to get the new one working. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I haven't as yet but will stick a meter on it in the morning, in any case I want a new one, the last one might as well have screamed 'oooh mince'.

Im going to get one of these!

R D S

Clean the connections then check supply the cables,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If the horn isn't working it could be the horn button, the relay, the fuse, probably not the horn itself.

I find getting two standard horns gives a nice two tone effect and makes it more noticeable. Especially if the two tones are not very harmonious.

Reply to
Mark W

You could always get one of these

Regards

Marc

Reply to
Marc Barbour

Now that's what i'm looking for.

Reply to
R D S

Sadly they are illegal over here.

After I had a time when I needed to make another driver 'aware of my presence' and the standard Mondeo horn just farted at him, I got twin Stebel Magnum horns (139dB) for it.

I have finally got around to fitting them, but the original Mondeo (Mk.1) horn is in a stupid place - tucked well in behind the front bumper, behind the fog light and totally enclosed by the arch liner. No free space path to the miscreant.

I made a bracket and fitted them there as I was short of time, but they aren't really *loud* like I wanted, so I'm going to have to move them again. Damn.

Reply to
PC Paul

It was the horn, a replacement one as poor as the original was only 8 quid. I may team it with another one, as you say, for improved startlement.

Reply to
R D S

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Easy enough to check - just whack 12 volts across the horn terminals.

Reply to
Hooch