Need tips on rusty Micra bodywork

Hi, I've been reading up on treating rust spots and now have an outline plan with the necessary stuff on order. The rusting parts of the back wheel arches, under the doors, are easily accessible from both sides, so they shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

One other area where rust discoloration is showing through the paint is at the bottom of the sills, under the doors. The main part of the sill seems OK. It's the flattened vertical seam right at the bottom which is getting rusty. I think the seam must be where the floor panels meet the sills in what appears to be spot welded joints.

I can work on the outside of the joint fairly easily. On the inside of the joint, I'm hoping I can get some warmed wax-oyl to run into the seam. I've looked for access from inside the car but it may be that the only way to get to the location is to drill holes in the bottom of the door frame, into the sill, then seal them up with rubber grommets after the wax-oyl has been squirted in.

Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track here and perhaps offer some other pointers?

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

pulling out the interior trim will reveal holes to squirt through. or use the wazoyl gun with a tube, gain access through the end of the sill (by the wheel) often there is an existing plug to use.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks very much Mr Cheerful. When you say the interior trim, do you mean the textured plastic channel strip that goes around the door opening and terminates the edge of the molded carpet? I ask because although I could just whip it off and check, I don't know how easy it is to refit. Sometimes these bits are tricky to handle.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

yes, I did. sometimes they are screwed on, often push fitted into clips, but generally they are not too hard to refit.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for that. Now I'll approach the job with much more confidence as a result of your help.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio