Punto sudden lack of reverse gear

'99 T Punto 1.2S 77k, which we've had from 10k/1year old. Without doubt this has been the most unreliable car we've ever owned, it's had to have a new head gasket, gearbox & clutch all before 50k.

We had decided to sell it when the missus suffered a rear end shunt, meaning it had to go to the menders (I was praying for a write off). Before it was collected I reversed it up to the garage door, as the boot wasn't secure. The menders duly collected it, fixed it & dropped it off yesterday - I watched the guy reverse it off the truck.

When I come to reposition it on the drive I find I can't engage reverse :-0 All the forward gears engage just fine. I checked the Haynes, suspecting a cable adjustment issue, but this model has the hydraulic flavour - no adjustment.

I'm just weighing up my options here, does this sound like a clutch or gearbox problem? Either way I don't another hefty repair bill. I was planning to sell privately, but am now thinking of offloading it at the Auctions. Do you have to declare any known mechanical faults when putting a car through the auctions? Any other suggestings for getting rid?

TIA

CD

Reply to
CD

I can agree with you on the head gasket. My '98 punto suffered the same problem at 38K (there seems to be a lot of head gasket failures on puntos at arround 30-40k).

Reply to
ABC

Gear linkage issue.

Reply to
Conor

Not an expert but I'd have thought having no reverse was something that should be declared :) Just imagine if some poor old doddering pensioner bought it and drove it straight home into his garage. He then realises that it's wider than his previous invalid carriage and can't open the doors to get out and can't reverse back out again. Being a widower he lives alone and can not summon help and eventually dies of hyperthingymajig (or whatever it is old people die of). Could you live with yourself :-)

Reply to
Mark

What I suspected, but there is no way of adjusting it according to Haynes.

CD

Reply to
CD

The fault could be due to something that was damaged during the impact, in which case it may still be an insurance issue. You can hope anyway!

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

At auction the car is either declared with no known faults, or sold as seen

Reply to
MrGrumpy

I'm sure theres a cable with a plunger that goes from the gear stick area to the gearbox. Cable mite be broken.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

Whack it back to the repairer/insurance company real quick "It worked fine before you had it - it's broken now". But dont delay and dont get anyone else to look at it. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam