Wheel bearing - Renault Megane

I got a Renault Megane Coupe 1999 (UK) with a dodgy front wheel bearing.

How hard / difficult is it to replace this myself, and do I need any special tools. Local garage qutoe me £200-00 for this. A new bearing cost £25-00, so it would be great to do this myself and save a bit of cash...

Any help would be great.

Reply to
Alula

Not a difficult job to remove the hub, but you will need a press to remove and replace the bearing.

As a cheaper option, why not,

Remove the hub assembly yourself, it's only a axle stand and spanner job. Then take the hub to the garage and ask the chap to fit the new bearing. I would imagine that he would take a tenner for his troubles, but even if he asked for =A320, it's still a bargain.

Dont forget to clean it all up, it will make his job easier.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

Generally, most FWD cars have bearings that require a large press to remove and replace.

You might save some money by removing the assembly and taking it to an engineering workshop etc to have the bearing fitted.

Dunno if this applies to your car, but I suspect it does by the quoted price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Always worked for me. Take hub to local garage along with bearing and offer 'em a fiver to press it in. Then give in a make it a tenner.

Reply to
Guy King