yes, it's a mileage thread

Just curious what type of driving this generally was. My city mileage was never that good in my near-stock Miata, but I was not trying for good mileage except on long highway trips.

I forget why the mileage is better in the summer than winter. Gas additives?

Pat

Reply to
pws

37.4 mpg for my 1.8, not bad for near sea level. One clubber in a 1.6 got 42, but I suspect he'd aired up his tires and other tricky prep stuff. All I did was bore myself silly.

Now, high elevation is a different story. I got 34-36 in the mountains, no matter how hard I flogged it (which was hard indeed). Less air = less fuel...and less power.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

In article , pws wrote:

Don't know how I would qualify my driving style. I can only describe my general driving habits. First rule which I have passed to my children is to be very conservative with the throttle until the engine and oil is up to temp. That generally means no more than 3-3.5k rpm for the first mile or 2. After that redline is fine. I live in a country setting so most of the near roads are 2 lane blacktop with twisties and not that many stop signs, although the stops are increasing as the population in the area is increasing. Once warmed up, I accelerate moderately from a stop (keeping pace with general traffic). Only occasionally does the urge hit me to push it hard from a stop to make a statement to someone - probably only I appreciate that statement. In general conservative driving, I tend to shift early 3-4k and just try to maintain momentum, and will hold in a high gear down to 2-2.5k when just rolling the flats. I also drive well ahead of myself, so get off the gas well before a stop, and seldom brake aggressively. But don't get me wrong, when playing or finding a fun entrance or exit ramp, I will use everything the car can offer, and push the tach to the redline for shifts, and will keep the rpm in the 4-5k range. That probably only accounts for about 10% of the time, but I haven't found it to affect gas mileage to any extent. For interstate driving, I tend to accelerate faster to get to speed as quick as possible, and will keep with the flow of traffic. I used to follow a 5% rule (make sure there a a few cars going a little faster than you), but now tend too go more to 10-20% especially when my wife is with me. For interstate driving, my rule is to drive well ahead of myself to maintain a fixed speed as much as possible. Try not to get caught behind slower traffic and have to accelerate back up to speed. Around here, interstate speed can be anywhere from 65 - 80 mph depending on the particular section, and time of day.

Having been a passenger in the car with my son, and also followed him a few times, he generally accelerates harder from a stop, and will run higher rpm for the most part. He will staty in 4th in places where I would have shifted into 5th. Yet, he is still getting almost the same mileage that I would get. Go figure.

The only other thing I could note, is that I have always used mid grade gas in the car (89 octane around here), and the timing (14-15 BTDC) and tune is set for that. At the last timing belt change (around 200k), compression still showing very good (can't remember exact, and lost the paper it was written on but remember around 165 psi cold and less than

8 psi difference overall.)

So, don't know if that tells you anything or not, but that is a general overview.

Reply to
Stephen Toth

Cool, do you know what you typically get? Chris? I am curious about what differences we are seeing.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Yes, it is all being absorbed and hopefully grokked.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat, don't know if you're referring to 'this' Chris but I can say that neither my 92NA nor my 99NB have gotten what I consider decent fuel mileage for the size / power of the car! They simply run too many RPM's on the highway but, don't get me started on that again! What I DO love is that no matter how hard you flog these (normally aspirated) little beasts, it doesn't hamper the mileage much from simple (shifting at 3500~5000 rpms) normal driving! My 99 can be pretty much be counted on for about 25mpg. I think my '92 was pretty much the same.

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I have heard that the Automatic does drop to more reasonable rpm's (in the NC at least) at cruising speeds and that seems to pay off quite well.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I haven't seen Chris M. in a while, so I guess I meant you if that's all that is available. ;-)

Thanks,

Pat

Reply to
pws

Uh-oh, sounds like Chris D. might be getting one of those. ;-)

I also like the idea of a taller gear for highway cruising.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Well, as far as horrible top posters go, I'm not soooo bad! ;-) Pat, Feb Autocross is next weekend!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Wow, I just saw that! Can this be confirmed by others? I know that I could do the digging but some of you know, come on and jump in here! I drooled over the PRHT last evening at the Houston Auto show. They only had one Miata there (usually 2 or 3) and it was a pretty much loaded example at about $32k! Mazda also only had one RX8 (usually 1 or 2) and it was the top of the line (world's best production car seats) R3 edition. Pretty sweet! The Mazda 2 was anything BUT exciting. I'm guessing it's quite a great car and that with some 'work' it'll be something decent.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Hmmmmmm, very interesting. I have the Miata running again but have not bitten the bullet on a new set of tires and an alignment yet.

That is some costly rubber and I keep running into other expenses. I know, excuses, excuses. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I am also leaning more and more towards the NC. With the PRHT and a taller highway gear it is sounding very interesting.

I did not like the looks very much when they came out but it has been growing on me every time I look at one, especially in blue, black or silver.

Maybe time to take another test-drive today. Hopefully they will be foolish enough let me take a 2006 or 2007 model out by myself this time.........

Pat

Reply to
pws

Yeah, you are, maybe even WORSE!

Reply to
XS11E

Ouch! ALMOST makes me want to start bottom posting ............ nahhhhhh! (that bottom posting has NEVER made sense to me!)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I agree on the best colors. Oddly, I've liked the NC right from the get go. To me, it's always looked like a fresh / modern version of the NA car rather than an evolution of the NA NB series. The front grill might not have been 'aggressive but it was at least reasonably good looking. This latest 'joker from the Batman series' grill that they are plastering on EVERY car, SUCKS! Man, the Japanese car companies are lost on design these days. Acura has ruined every car they sell (looks wise), Toyota's cars are just butt ugly, Mazda is applying horrible 'corporate-think' front grills. Even Honda isn't doing much to impress. They seem to be copy-catting Toyota if anything. What's coming of them!?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

As usual, I agree with that. Chris could go pick my car out for me, we have almost identical tastes in almost all things automobile-related.

Pat

Reply to
pws

A. Because people don't read that way. Q. Why is top posting wrong?

Reply to
XS11E

I'd be very concerned! ;-)

Reply to