1989 190e centre console

I'm a new owner of one of these and seemingly a glutton for punishment. Can anyone tell me if there's a easyish way of reinstalling the heater knobs to the whatsits on the firewall or is it just a simple matter of trying for hours to do the impossible of lining them up while at the same time avoiding accidently pulling the vacuum lines off. It must be the reason it was sold but with Winter coming, the heater may come in handy for a while in the morning.

To view the day to day life of a loser go here.

Jim Vatunz