AVOID major oil companies!

Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 8:04 PM
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"

The novelist George Eliot once said that "it is never too late to become what you might have been."
This is profoundly dumb. If you know anything about business and marketing, you would realize how stupid it sounds. This moronic "idea" was around in the 70's, except back then it was copied on paper and passed around.
Plus the numbers are crap. Only 78% of the population is above age 15 so you can't run around saying 300 million people have gasoline buying power. And who believes 300 million people are going to see this e-mail? And despite your best wishes, you can't boycott an energy product to cause a price shift so large.
I have a nice bridge for sale, please send a check.

Fred Emmerich
In the e-mail version I received a couple of weeks ago the exhortation at the end to e-mail all one's friends was much stronger.
This clogs the internet and makes it spam.
DAS
<Fred snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:4314fc83$1$serq_rzzrevpu$ snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net...
Chain letters like this are started so SPAMMERS can obtain valid e-mail addresses. Think about all the e-mails you have seen with hundreds of people on them. A SPAMMERS dream come true.

Fred Emmerich
Fred snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Highly unlikely. How would the spammer get the addresses back to him? Do you think spammers take the trouble of manually harvesting addresses from mails that happen to come by??
Ximinez
All they need is one email and they have programs to do this. Very simple and automatic. It is estimated 85% of addresses are obtained by chain letters.

Fred Emmerich
On 2005-09-01 07:07:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@alumni.tcu.edu said:

Estimated by whom? More often they buy them from AOL (LOL).
Spiders that crawl the web and suck addresses from web pages are also a HUGE source.
And then of course there is Usenet (ohmyf'ngod).
Anyhow, That's what the BCC field is for.
Marty
Chain letters and joke e-mails with 10,000 forwards on them generate tons of addresses. I use the BCC or delete them all and I never do chain letters. I don't get SPAM and I have had this e-mail for years.

Fred Emmerich
On 2005-09-01 13:40:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@alumni.tcu.edu said:

Well your going to get tons of it now.
You just exposed it on usenet!
Its not a real address. Mail forwarding.

Fred Emmerich
And I have personal, irrefutable evidence of that (obtained unintentionally, mind)
DAS
"Martin Joseph" < snipped-for-privacy@barknaturalpet.com> wrote in message
Exxon Mobile is one company...