2002 montero sport eats alternators

In the past year I have had a rash of alternator fails. These have been replace at a local repair shop. One failed so soon after install that the supplier replaced it in warrantee. After the one a couple of months ago the shop owner said he found power steering fluid had dripped down into the alternator. The p/s pump was replaced and I figured that would bring an end to this problem.

Until last night. Wife called from the road. and the car had died. Battery was way run down and no lights or cranking. Car had been running on the battery with no alternator working.

Got it home, charged over night. Starts like a champ. A cheap tester shows no charging.

What is causing the alternators to die?

This is the fourth or fifth time this has happened. Shop owner says he cannot find a different rebuild supplier. As retirees, we just have one car so pulling alternator apart to see what is happening is not an option.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie