Road Angel

I just got one of them there "Road Angels"...

Cool!!!!

Everyone needs one of these!

Reply to
Burgerman

I have a PocketPC with tomtom3 and a bluetooth GPS receiver, I downloaded the speed camera positions and its cool. Apart from the warning for speed cameras, I think I'm in love with the "turn left" woman 8)

Reply to
Tony Bond

This is like ABS. Those who have it, love it and want it, those who don't can see no point in it. What will happen now is everyone will tell you off for speeding... ;)

Reply to
Questions

Well even my old mum, in her granada got done on a typical "cash trap" on the motorway, twice in two days! It was a tempory restriction at some deserted roadworks or something, but she never saw it. 7 am sunny deserted brighr SAFE motorway...

I have no objection to them if they are put in accident blackspots as a deterent. But NOT when put on the safest roads in the country as a cash collection system...

So I fitted it to a small 12v Ni-Cad pack with rubber base so it can be easily placed without wiring on to any dashboard. It also tells me my wheelchair goes at 7mph... And my girlfriend walks slowly at 2 mph... It also allows the GPS data to connect to a laptop running autoroute etc.

300 Quid, but how much is your licence worth? Never mind insurance and fines.... Or walking which I can't...

And I think we should organise ourselves as well as they organise themselves! Make it a fair fight! Did you know that garage door openers can bugger up laser readings???

Reply to
Burgerman

Lol - I wonder how many /other/ wheelchair users have found themselves in court explaining to the judge why they should keep their licence.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've got one along with a Target laser 'jammer' in the T16. The RA's very good but the targets save my bacon (no pun intended ;)) several times, that really is a cracking bit of kit.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Do you have a link? And, are the old radar guns still used much???

Reply to
Burgerman

My mum was stopped a fortnight ago for doing 30.6 mph in a 30 zone. Seriously.

The copper stood there and gave her the "do you realise how fast you were going" speech.

Reply to
Lordy

Its a laser jammer not a radar jammer. Very very cool, identifies the laser light from the gun as hostile, works out the best way to jam it then blasts a burst back of the correct length and frequency at the gun whilst sounding a rather loud alarm in the cockpit to allow you to slow down, turn the jammer off and let Mr Piggy get a reading of you well within the limit. Oh the best bit.... its acutaly a garage door/gate opener that also happens... to be able to Jam laser ;)

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Man! I borrowed a BlueEye or Geodesy (cant remember) a while back and was amazed at how relaxed the driving experience was, not checking out unfamiliar roads for gatsos and "hidey holes" I could get on with the job of driving, keeping up with traffic etc. It was great. Though £300+ is a big hit, so vigilance is the way forward for now...

Reply to
<fishman nineteen at bifgoot dot com>

"Lordy" wrote

"Speed limits are a limit and not a target" yeah bollocks

Reply to
<fishman nineteen at bifgoot dot com>

"**-**" wrote

Yeah my friend has one of these. Unreliable - he got caught when it was ripped out of the car for repairs (again).

Reply to
<fishman nineteen at bifgoot dot com>

My dad got pulled for having a brake light out and given the "I could give you a £60 fine" speech the other day. I don't think the policeman was expecting the tirade he got back :D.

Reply to
Doki

Hehe! My dad got pulled over the other day too! He was coming up to a small roundabout (by small, I mean just big enough to warrant some a curb around it), where you could either turn left or go straight on. He went straight on, but was told he should have been indicating right, to show he wanted to go straight on!

Needless to say, he went spastic at them, told them he has been driving since the dawn of time, blah blah blah and ended up pretty much driving off! He wasnt happy!

Reply to
Max Hamlet

IKWYM, but the road angel might not have known about that anyway.

It's a pity when people get caught, but the cameras aren't subtle any more, not like the hairdryer man hiding behind the hedge, etc.

I saw someone get caught. I was the passenger in a car, and we went past a sign by the side of the road with a picture of a speed camera. Oh, I said, there's a speed trap up ahead.

Sure enough, there was a police van with black windows parked in a layby about half a mile along the road, matey ahead of us sees the police van, drives past it and is flagged down by Mr Plod the other side.

I mean, how could he or she not have realised it was there?

Yeah well, I've never paid the speeding tax, touch wood. It's become a lot easier to avoid, but it's clearly fund raising, for all that, rather than a safety issue, most of the time.

There's a patch for making autoroute update each second, making it a lot more useful. Watching it on the passenger seat while driving is a big nono, legal it may be, but safe it is not. And the laptop is damaged when you realise you have to emergency brake.

They've come down in price, a bit.

Yes.

Reply to
Questions

They garantee it knows ALL the speed cameras??? It/they need to be submitted for aproval or something I think, and these as well as the SPECS ones are added automatically.

Some of the ones that average your distance and use software to read your number plate are very sneaky...

It knows about those too...

257 ebay!
Reply to
Burgerman

Hmm, really? The way it used to work the driver would press a button to signal a new one, you got 50 notes "bounty" to pay for the fine if you got caught and were first to report it.

Evidently, there was a gap between you connecting up the widget to the modem and dialling in your report, them verifying it was there, and then someone dialling to get updates and go out on the road again, which was plenty of scope to catch a few before the updates filtered down.

Reply to
Questions

I dont get that, why should you have to indicate right to go straight accross, i am not going right round or heading right, so why should i indicate right.

in my oppinion that would just confuse people at other junctions on the roundabout.

chris

Reply to
Chris

Because you are thinking about it in the wrong sense. It's a roundabout, you don't go "straight" across.

Highway Code is a bit ambiguous on this, technically you are taking the last exit so initially indicating right is the advised procedure.

Particularly dumb Police Officers apparently :)

Reply to
Lordy

They're also the easiest to avoid being caught by, so long as you know what a SPECS camera looks like.

You can fly past the first one at any speed you like, so long as you quickly do the maths and work out how slow you need to be going to avoid the average speed trap.

Reply to
SteveH