insurance

Can't seem to get decent insurance quotes since I became unemployed...

Premium has nearly doubled from 260 to 500 quid and excess gone up 500%, seems to me you get penalised more for this than speeding offences etc.... Car is a fairly high performance Saab 9000 Carlsson, which is the problem... anyone know of some good deals?

I mean what do they thing I'm gonna do?? Busses for me....

Anyway short-term I could probably get away without telling them until I find employment (bad idea??)

Reply to
Chris

Before I start, I know it's risk assessed based on statistics, but here follows a logical statement:

What do they think you're going to do? Spend every spare minute of your life driving, as you're not currently in work?? How do they think you're going to fund that? The mind boggles......

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Tell them you have retired. I do.

Banned 5 times for "speeding", 2 write offs (one leaving me in hospital for a year! And wheelchair...) VR6 VW Auto 8 seat Caravelle, Corporate type MPV, with various mods, including big alloys, etc, £330 Fully comp, including protected no claims, agreed £30,000 value, and legal cover...

Reply to
Burgerman

Try Liverpool victoria.

Do the companies normally ask for your employer, or your occupation? Most actors are unemployed most of the time, but I bet they say "Actor", not "resting" or "unemployed".

Have you got a trade or a profession that you normally work in? use that, you don't need to be doing it right now for that to be your occupation, as long as you plan to return to it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

IT.. I suppose I'll play it safe and be a 'self employed computer tech'

Just experimenting using online quote systems including my own, quotes for 'unemployed' varied tremendously...

Anyway suppose it keeps the chavs off the road....yeah right ;-)

Reply to
Chris

They'd be better off saying unemployed. Acting is one of the highest risk professions.

In the past I've just said I've been working for an agency, so I didn't know exactly what I'd be doing and that didn't seem to make a difference to the premium.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

Is that the 12v 2.8 or 2.9 I guess not the later 24v version. I wonder if an R32 engine will go in as it's not all that different, bet that would go well with a nitrous kit. ;) £330 seems to be a good quote to me, maybe I should try the retired line next year. Then again I've had some silly cheap quotes this year knocking almost a third off last years best.

Reply to
Depresion

Its the12 valve but as its detuned in the van, slightly (100 quid a tankl of fuel!) the extra valves dont help much! But there are a bunch of TUV approved supercharger options, including an ancilliary belt driven low boost turbo type compressor...

£330 seems to be a good quote to me, maybe I should try the

Some professions (dj, rock star, tradesman, etc) they simply HATE!

Reply to
Burgerman

Go to your local industrial temp agency and become a factory assembly or labouring temp - failing that get yourself a job stacking shelves for a day. You won't need to lie about being employed then.

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

true, bad example.