Witing for NIP

Yeah, looks like I've been got...

Travelling down the A1 to Rockingham yesterday for a team briefing. My Checkpoint alerted me to the presence of a camera. 'I know that one', I thought; it was one in a series of fixed GATSO's near Colsterworth(?) with the camera protecting an exit from a side road. You come over a crest, look down the hill and there is plenty of time to slow for the junction/camera.

Unfortunately, some sod has set it on fire and there was a camera van there in it's place, complete with plod in the back picking people off as they came over the crest...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤ composed the following;:

LOL, you have a detector, you knew where the camera location was and you _still_ got caught. Heheheheh, sorry for laughing but that's just ridiculous.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

They have just put a Cam up in Bristol almost opposite the SS Great Britain, along with 2 x 30mph flashing signs, more and more cam's are going up round here now, I thought they were slowing up on installing them?

Reply to
Ronny

Personally I make sure I slow to the speed limit as soon as checkpoint starts shouting at me. Not that I go much above in any case.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Paul - xxx ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not *quite* - If it was a GATSO, then there'd be plenty of time to slow to go past it legally. As Abo said.

If it's a van, then you've been caught as soon as you see 'em, because the camera points the other way.

The camera's "nick-point" had been moved several hundred metres nearer.

Just shows the risks of complacency, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Lol, I know.

I don't know when the camera got damaged because I've been doing the M62/M6 a lot more in the past couple of months. Apart from that I've been driving down that road regularly for ages now so I *thought* I knew what sort of camera was waiting for me. Just goes to show...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

I usually do... :)

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

They can smell the cash, slowing up is not an option. Oh, the irony.

JohnR

Nah, blatant lie to make you think you can drive quick again, when=20 infact less places you can do it.

Have you ever read 1984? Ministry of Peace was incharge of the war effort. Victory Mansions was a slum. Ministry of plenty dealt with the reducing of rations. It's called double speak. Or in common language, less is more.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Then you're clearly an accident waiting to happen, I bet you run with scissors too, you potential MURDERER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
fishman

FWIW I think the chances of getting a NIP is about 20%, most of the cam's films have finished after about 1 hour, unless it was a digi one, but they are small things IIRC

Reply to
Ronny

On fixed cameras yes. But with a van if they run out of film they are likely to give up and go away.. There's no money in not being able to take pics.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Damn done it again :( didn't see the bit about the van being there... Doh

Reply to
Ronny

LOL. Like you, I know the location of every static one on the A1 and know the one you mean.

Reply to
Conor Turton

Not quite that easy. THe fixed GATSO points towards the direction of travel so you aren't at risk until you've passed it. The talivan was pointing against the direction of travel so got him as he came around a bend over a crest a good few hundred yards before.

Reply to
Conor Turton

Might get lucky anyway, although I'd be saving up for the NIP as it's highly likely, more so than just going through a fixed camera site. C'est la vie. Seems to be a few getting snapped at the moment, probably just chance but...

Reply to
Questions

There's a possibility they got something wrong, e.g. not calibrated the kit or whatever but I think the odds on that are pretty long, as will be the chance of them letting anyone off if they are above the limit they've decided to NIP at.

Might be within the allowance if the speedo is over reading, etc, etc, but if not, well, that's pretty much that. Food for thought, of course, without the box giving the warning would they still have been caught? I guess so, but.

Reply to
Questions

Yep, and hand them over point first...

Reply to

I noticed someone has set one on fire at the Newark accident reduction scheme (I think it's called; that 50mph bit with about 6 cameras on it) as well...

Reply to

Two people I know were both caught by vans in a well known speed fascist county and both ignored the NIP. Just before the 14 days is up, they send you another NIP by recorded delivery. They were both out of their respective houses when the recorded NIPs arrived but neither went to the PO to collect them.

Three years on and there have been no repercussions for either, and one has since been to court and won against a separate speeding charge (to his credit, he was totally in the right with that one). He also managed to confuse another traffic officer (on yet another speeding charge) enough for him to bugger up the paperwork and so got off that one too (but I personally think he should've bent over for that one).

Reply to
fishman