Pirate call

Although I don't know much about computing thought I'd pass this on.Yesterday I downloaded a music file and when it was about to start I heard the modem begin to ring out for no reason.It was a pirate site that would have cost me a fortune had I not heard the modem dialling out.There must be someway of stopping this but I don't know how.Here in the UK there have been loads of people landed with enormous bills that are not recoverable from phone company. Keep the modem audio loud I guess.Cheers

Reply to
Harry Hotspur

Don't know much about computing myself either, but I do have Panda Platinum on my system which detects and eliminates dialer programs. On the other hand, I connect through a router, so it wouldn't affect me anyway.

gino

Reply to
gino

Either get broadband if you're in an enabled area and remove your modem, or speak to BT (or your service provider) and have premium rate numbers barred - this is a free service.

Reply to
Oli

The trouble with that is some legitimate support numbers also use premium rates.

Grumble

Reply to
grumble

Those premium rate support lines, in general, are not much use.

MOST problems can be diagnosed and possibly fixed with the proper use of Google.

I gave up on technical support years ago, and have never looked back.

MJ

Reply to
Mungo Jerry

Too true, a bit of time in google with the correct keywords can easily beat phone support. You;d be suprised how helpful people can be online.

td

Mungo Jerry wrote:

Reply to
td

Sorry,got the wrong newsgroup it was meant for Windows 98 group.Too much Nukie Broon I guess still, be warned.

Reply to
Harry Hotspur

thanks for all the helpful replies,probably got more here than at the windows group it was intended for.I'll get on to the cure,thanks again.Regards

Reply to
Harry Hotspur

or a simple and cheap subscription to the experts exchange website, as most IT pro's use for when they get stuck.....

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Why pay for what is available on Usenet etc for free ?

Reply to
Mungo Jerry

before dialling a premium/national rate number - try

I use it all the time. It's great... especially for a tight Scotsman like me!

Reply to
Triple-S

Call barring. Have been bitten. Happy golfing, Rog

Reply to
Rog

Thanks,slowed down my backswing speeded up the follow through,playing out of my skin at the moment.Hope it lasts.regards

Reply to
Harry Hotspur