94 grand prix Window track problem. Could someone please help ?

Hi all, The front drivers side window (94 grand prix - 4 door) is out of track and just flops foward. I took the door panel off and cannot get the glass back into the track. It looks like something needs to be attached to the glass that in turn runs into the track, Something must of wore off and fell off. Anyone know what attaches to the glass to then get it back into the track? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reply to
Sammy

The same thing happened on my '93 two door. It is such a weak design I am surprised that it works at all and there are not lots of postings about it. On the two door, in the portion of track that runs vertically on the back of the door you'll see two pieces of rubber that form a "V". The window runs in the center of this "V". On the window glass there is some plastic formed to the glass on the back edge. On this plastic you'll see some small bumps. These bumps are what the "V" pushes on to keep the window on track. The problem is that the plastic (and perhaps the rubber) wears allowing the bumps to slip past the "V" and the window flops forward.

The way I fixed mine was to roughen up the area of the bump with scotchbrite then using epoxy made for use on plastic, built up the area that makes contact with the "V". After it cured I worked it to make the front edge, were it will contact the "V", 90 degrees to the glass and about .100 deep. Make sure that the root is sharp.

Another thing to look for is that in the front bottom of the door is a metal track that probably got damaged. I replaced this.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Well I got it fixed. On the 4-door model, I went to the dealer and bought two guides , one front and one rear that I had to epoxy back on to the glass. wasn't to bad a job, but what a piss poor design. btw, the guides were only about $5 a piece. good day!

Reply to
Sammy