I know I posted already, but...........

I'm totally confused as to what could be causing this!

1995 9000 Aero auto Periodically the dashboard display (only the arae under the speedo, not the heater lights, radio, etc) goes blank and this can happen momentarily whilst driving. At the same time the engine will temporarily cut out. Usually this lasts only a second. Also often when I first turn on the ignition it will happen. Switching the headlights on will sometimes fix it. Alternatively sometimes switching the headlights on will trigger the problem and switching them off will fix it. All other electrics in the car are fine. Any ideas anybody?

Pete

Reply to
MVH

Sounds like a problem I've been having with my '97 CSE. The dash lights have never gone out while in motion, but they have recently refused to come on at start up, causing the car to also refuse to start. As with your problem, the radio/aircon lights would all still be operational.

Advice from this group (thanks Grunff) suggested removing the steering column cowling (only a couple of Torx heads) and getting a multimeter to all of the connections. If you have a Haynes manual (or similar) then the wiring diagram will help you work it out. I couldn't find any problems, so I resorted to wiggling all of the wires and hey presto! suddenly all of the problems disappeared. That was a week ago, and it is all still working successfully.

I will change the ignition switch eventually as a precaution, but the cause of the problem still has me stumped!

Good luck!

absgt

1997 9000 CSE 2.3 LPT
Reply to
absgt

Could be a poor earth (chassis) connection somewhere. Once had the headlights glowing when applying the brakes.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Yes, surprisingly enough, a possibility.

I had a 1980 Rabbit diesel that developed much the same problems. (Also continually broke the alternator bracket) Yes, it makes sense...

Turns out that the engine electrical ground was established through the engine mount. That mount was bad.... Thus, the ground would break, cutting off the engine, and letting the power go through all sorts of odd paths. Not enough to run the car, but enough to make the lights light up oddly.

The motor mount had always been bad, so the engine had always vibrated more than not. That explains the alternator bracket failure.

IF Saab does anything similar, then check the grounding from the engine block to the chassis, or the internal grounding in the dash... No guarantees, but it does sound like an intermittent ground... Could also be the reverse, and intermittent power connection.. I'd check the fuses for the control/cabin stuff.... just pulling them out and visually inspecting them might get rid of the possible corrosion on the fuse blades...

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

First thing I do with weird electrical problems like this is to clean the battery terminals. Remove each terminal and clean with wire brush then apply mixture of baking soda & water and rinse. After replacing them, spray them with electrical terminal spray to keep moisture out. Even if the terminals look good, it only takes a very little inside corroson to increase the battery - terminal resistance and cause problems. Hope it helps. JP

Reply to
Joseph Pitarra

Thanks for all your advice guys. I don't think it's battery terminals as all other electricals are fine when this happens. When it happened yesterday I thumped the steering column cowling near where the diagnostics socket sits and the dash flicked on......maybe coincidence, but maybe relevant...........thi looks like the most likely cause. I'm taking the car to the Saab service place on Monday and I'll let them know about this. I'll post their findings

Cheers.......Pete (MVH at home

Reply to
pmg