1963 R2 Hawk Carburetor

My R2 has a 3589 (R1) carb on it. It idled rich and sometimes flooded. To get it to idle properly, I added a fuel pressure regulator. It idles great now without any black puffs from the exhaust. However, the problem now is no power and the engine fails when I try to accelerate. It acts like there isn't enough fuel volume. The fuel pump has been rebuilt. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I know I need the R2 3588 carburetor. Does anyone have one for sale?

Richard NT SDC

Reply to
jem0mej

I tried a R-1 carb on my R-2 Avanti when I was having trouble with the original carb. I found out why they require sealing the screws on the R-2. I was literally blowing gas out of the carb. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

They come up on EBAY from time to time. Search under the carb number and carter afb as well as R2 carb.

Paul Johns> > My R2 has a 3589 (R1) carb on it. It idled rich and sometimes flooded.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Rich, It sounds as if you created the problem by adding the pressure regulator. As the boost comes up, it has to pressurize the pump as well. Otherwise the pressure in the carb will be higher than the pump can produce. They sometimes refer to a stude pump with the pressure line going to it as a "boost referenced fuel pump" Adding the regulator has removed your fuel pumps reference. I had problems passing NJ state inspection with my R-2 it was idling way too rich. The aftermarket R-2 fuel pumps are not sealed the same as the factory R-2 pumps. Also the rebuilding kits-for a factory R-2 are not the same as what came out of a stock R-2 pump. I finally rebuilt my factory pump with a kit from Jon Myers.It matched exactly what the factory used. My car now has no flat spots where it stops accelerating. It would be much easier if I just plain E-mailed you some pictures of the different diaphrams that I have been sold for rebuilding the factory pump. Bottom line ,make sure you have a correct factory pump,get a rebuild kit from Myers.Install the correct kit.It has 2 seperate seals on the shaft.It also has a much stronger spring on it as well. Remove the pressure regulator and go out and raise hell with it. If you have any questions for me write to me off of the newsgroup, Joe Flannery

Reply to
jflan63