R2 Hawk vs R2 Lark

When Studebaker advertised the package Lark and Hawk they stated 132 MPH with the Lark and 140 MPH with the Hawk. Doesn't it seem the Lark should be the faster of the two?

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

The Lark is brick aerodynamically.

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

All other things being equal (transmission, rear end, etc.) I would expect the Lark to be *quicker* but even with the big, upright grille I suspect the Hawk would be more aerodynamic thus the higher top speed. A

53-54 coupe or hardtop with the same drivetrain would probably be the best combination of factory parts for highest top speed.

What's the top speed of an R2 Avanti? I would suspect that it would be higher than either, even though the Avanti is heavier, due to its being almost as aerodynamic as the 53-54.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

From what I have read if the same running gear was in all cars the speed would rate as, slowest to fastest,:

  1. Lark
  2. Hawk
  3. Avanti
  4. 53/4 coupe.

It's all aerodynamics at this point.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I never appreciated aerodynamics so much till i started drag racing slot cars, just 1/8 inch in height made a big difference in times, My favorite slot car was a hard body 53 Stude coupe that won many races in its class, Low & Go.

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster